Nestled on the east coast, at the base of a small village called Faial is arguably Madeira’s best sunrise spot. Miradouro do Guindaste, also known as Crane Viewpoint is an incredible spot to hunt the first light of the day. Located in the Santana district, the viewpoint looks down the dramatic east coast towards the rising sun making it a popular sunrise location.
Rising from the ocean, a small headland stands firm against the crashing waves. Miradouro do Guindaste, a picturesque spot renowned for its captivating sunrise views attracts both photographers and sunrise-chasers. This incredible location provides an ideal vantage point for capturing breathtaking sunrise photographs.
In this blog post, I’ll share with you a comprehensive guide to Miradouro do Guindaste (Crane Viewpoint)
TOP 3 PLACES TO STAY IN MADEIRA
- Ultimate Luxury: Les Suites at Cliff Bay best location and view
- Best Value: Hotel Alto Lido – Funchal rooftop swimming pool under 100 Euros
- Budget Hostel in Funchal: Santa Maria Hostel is easily the top hostel in Funchal
HOW TO GET TO MIRADOURO DO GUINDASTE
Miradouro do Guindaste is situated in the municipality of Santana on the northeastern part of Madeira Island. The viewpoint is conveniently located just a forty-minute drive away from Funchal, and ample parking spots are available right in front of it. In addition, Miradouro do Guindaste is situated next to Praia do Faial, allowing visitors to relax on the beach on a sunny day after taking in the stunning views from the viewpoint.
After parking your vehicle, it’s only a quick one-minute walk to reach the headland. The most exceptional view can be found at the tip of the headland, and visitors can walk all the way to the end for the best experience.
BEST RENTAL CAR COMPANY ON MADEIRA
When you book your Madeira Rental Car online, I personally recommend and always use Discover Cars. They search for both local and international companies, so you get the best deal! MUST Read: Guide to Renting a Car on Madeira
PARKING AT MIRADOURO DO GUINDASTE
There is a large, paved parking area at Miradouro do Guindaste. This makes it convenient for an early morning sunrise mission as you hardly have to walk for a minute to reach the viewpoint.
WHERE IS MIRADOURO DO GUINDASTE
Below, I have pinned the exact location of the Crane Viewpoint. It’s just after the village of Porto da Cruz and situated at the base of Faial.
BEST TIME TO VISIT MIRADOURO DO GUINDASTE
To witness the enchanting golden light illuminating the cliffs and water, the best time to visit is at sunrise. Plan to arrive at least 30 minutes early to catch the pre-dawn hues that are just as captivating. During multiple visits to this stunning viewpoint in Madeira, I’ve been fortunate enough to witness a mesmerizing display of colors – from a fiery red sky to the most magnificent golden light as the sun rose above the horizon. Trust me when I say that it is truly a sight to behold and one that will stay with you forever.
In the mid-morning, the sun will become quite harsh and while the coastal view is still nice, it is much harder to take balanced photos. Due to the angle of the viewpoint, the setting sun doesn’t have much of an impact on this viewpoint as it is primarily a sunrise spot.
MY 3 FAVORITE TOURS IN MADEIRA
- Dolphin & Whale Watching: Take a cruise from Funchal to spot Dolphins, Whales and see amazing views of Madeira’s coastline.
- Hike Pico Arieiro to Pico Ruivo: Hike the most epic trail on the island with a qualified guide!
- Level 1 Canyoning Adventure: Rappel down waterfalls in this high-adrenaline experience.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT MIRADOURO DO GUINDASTE
If you’re in Madeira, you must visit the famous Miradouro do Guindaste. This spot is well-loved by photographers and early risers, who enjoy coming here to watch the sunrise and capture stunning coastal views.
There is an arched cliff that acts as a catwalk. The classic photo at this spot is for one person to walk out along the cliff while the other stays back and takes the shot. The entire east coast will be in the background with the sun rising or the sky glowing behind the subject.
When you arrive at Miradouro do Guindaste, prepare yourself for some breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean. This viewpoint offers stunning panoramas that stretch from Faial to Ponta de São Lourenço along the north coast of Madeira. On the right side, you can spot the iconic Porto da Cruz and Penha D’Aguia landmarks. If you’re lucky enough to have a clear day, you might even catch a glimpse of the beautiful Porto Santo island.
GLASS VIEWPOINTS AT MIRADOURO DO GUINDASTE
The Miradouro do Guindaste in the charming parish of Faial in Madeira has recently undergone a major transformation, making it an even more remarkable attraction for visitors. After a significant renovation project, which cost around 600,000 euros, the viewpoint has reopened to the public, offering two awe-inspiring glass walkways suspended over the vast ocean.
The glass platforms provide a unique and exhilarating perspective, perfect for capturing stunning photographs and taking in the awe-inspiring scenery. Additionally, visitors can now enjoy public restrooms and a designated area for trailers. The new and improved Guindaste viewpoint is a must-visit destination for anyone seeking an unforgettable experience on the beautiful island of Madeira.
HIKES NEARBY MIRADOURO DO GUINDASTE
There are several great hikes nearby but these three are my favorite options for an adventure after the Crane Viewpoint.
- Penha d’Aguia: Another great sunrise hike to the top of the Eagle’s Nest, which is the huge cliff seperating Faial and Porto da Cruz
- Vereda das Funduras: A winding path deep in the forest above Porto da Cruz
- Ponta do Clerigo: A steep but beautiful hike down to a coastal ridge with views back to Faial and Sao Lourenco.
WONDERING ABOUT WHERE TO STAY ON MADEIRA?
Throughout my six months on Madeira Island, I stayed in multiple accommodations. My favorite regions to stay in were Funchal and Canico de Baixo. I’ve created several guides to help you find the right region for you and a great hotel or apartment.
- The ultimate guide: WHERE TO STAY ON MADEIRA: WHICH REGION IS RIGHT FOR YOU?
- If you want luxury: BEST 5-STAR LUXURY HOTELS ON MADEIRA ISLAND
- To feel at home: TOP 10 BOUTIQUE HOTELS ON MADEIRA ISLAND
- If you want to base in Funchal: WHERE TO STAY IN FUNCHAL: 15 TOP-RATED HOTELS
HAVE YOU READ MY OTHER MADEIRA BLOGS?
I spent six months exploring Madeira and the nearby island of Porto Santo. These are some of my most popular guides about the region that you may be interested in.
- My favorite hikes: 65 AWESOME HIKES ON MADEIRA
- My favorite levada walks: 25 BEAUTIFUL LEVADA WALKS ON MADEIRA
- The best waterfalls on the island: 25 EPIC WATERFALLS ON MADEIRA
- Guide to the best Accommodation: WHERE TO STAY ON MADEIRA
- Hardest hike: THE MADEIRA ISLAND ULTRA TRAIL IN 4 DAYS (115KM)
- Longest hike: CAMINHO REAL 23: MADEIRA’S ROYAL PATH (180KM)