Binalayan Falls, often referred to as the ‘Hidden Falls,’ is a beautiful and inviting natural attraction located in the town of Samboan, Cebu, Philippines. This enchanting three-tier waterfall is best known for its pristine waters and its exciting appeal to adventure enthusiasts. The middle tier, often referred to as the “Gatorade Pool” due to its distinctive blue-green color, is particularly popular among visitors. Whether you’re diving into the refreshing water from a swing rope, enjoying a tranquil swim, or capturing the breathtaking scenery.
BINALAYAN FALLS: COMPLETE GUIDE
Tucked away in Samboan is a beautiful waterfall at the end of a tranquil jungle trail. It is also the place of one of the most dangerous cliff jumps I’ve ever done in my life. It’s a beautiful but short little adventure, which you can combine with the other waterfalls in the Samboan region of Cebu. In this blog post, I’ll share everything you need to know about Binalayan Waterfall.
HOW TO GET TO BINALAYAN FALLS
Binalayan Waterfall is also known as ‘Hidden Falls’. Like many ‘hidden’ places around the world, it is not hidden at all. It is advertised with a road from the sign, which directs you to a parking lot and the ticket office.
The trail only takes about 20 minutes from start to finish but provides a beautiful coconut palm-lined path and peaceful scenery. Most of the path is a steady dirt trail, which we traversed in flip-flops. Enormous palm trees cover the land. One of our guides showed off his rapid climbing skills and gathered some coconuts for us, which was super impressive.
Binalayan Falls is super easy to find. It is marked here on the Google Map below and the pin is accurate. From the main road, there is a sign and you follow that into the parking lot.
MY 5 FAVORITE CEBU TOURS
- Oslob Whale Sharks & Moalboal Sardine Run Snorkeling – This combo tour is the BEST VALUE way to enjoy a guided and PRIVATE tour of the two most popular activities in Cebu.
- Moalboal Island Hopping & Pescador Island & Turtle Bay Snorkeling: Swim with turtles and the sardine balls on an island-hopping boat trip from Moalboal.
- Bluewater Sumilon Island Day Tour – Visit the crystal clear water of Sumilon Island on this day tour.
- Kawasan Falls Canyoneering Tour (BEST PRICE): The classic tour. Number one most booked activity in Cebu!
- Bohol Day tour from Cebu: Want to visit Bohol but are short of time? See the top sights on this one-day adventure including transport.
Click the orange button below to view all of the top-rated tours on Klook
There are three small river crossings so water shoes or flip-flops are recommended for this trail.
After about 15 minutes into the trek, you will reach a small clearing. Here there is a plateau of water where there are several benches and a tire swing. It’s a nice spot to relax before heading into the waterfall.
MY EXPERIENCE AT BINALAYAN FALLS
A small staircase leads up to the waterfall which the locals have nicknamed, ‘Adidas Waterfall’. This is because three distinct flows of water strike down like the famous three Adidas stripes. You can swim in this waterfall or the smaller waterfall on the level below. However, it is the caves and cliff jumping that are the main activity.
BEST CAMERA FOR THE PHILIPPINES
The GoPro Hero11 is the BEST camera for traveling around the Philippines.
- Waterproof for snorkeling, island-hopping and canyoneering and beach days.
- Built-in stabilization for filming your travels and adventure activities
- 5.3K video and 27MP Photo to capture awesome memories of friends and family
TOP 3 PLACES TO STAY IN MOALBOAL
Moalboal is the best place to base for all your Cebu adventures. It is central to most waterfalls, canyoneering, snorkeling, beaches and within driving distance of the Whale Sharks!
It is possible to climb up into the caves inside the waterfall and then jump down. Be warned this water is 8ft deep at the maximum. There is also a spot to jump on the left side of the waterfall from a similar height to the caves. From that height, you will probably touch the ground but should be okay.
The guides asked me if I wanted to jump and we ended up going to a higher level. I have to say it was one of my dumbest jumps. The water is 8ft deep and I had tested that but I still jumped. I hit the ground pretty hit and luckily with bent knees. I definitely do not suggest jumping from the second level.
Having said that, the locals who are absolute legends at cliff jumping, send jumps from even higher. That should not encourage you to do so as you are likely to break a leg or both. Jump from the lower levels or just enjoy the pool!
THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT BINALAYAN FALLS
- Location: Binalayan Falls, also known as ‘Hidden Falls,’ is situated in the town of Samboan in the southwestern part of Cebu, Philippines.
- Three-Tier Waterfall: The waterfall is a three-tiered cascade, offering visitors a unique experience at each level. The middle tier is popularly referred to as the “Gatorade Pool” due to its distinct blue-green hue.
- Activities: Binalayan Falls is known for the array of activities it offers. Besides swimming in the clear waters, visitors often enjoy cliff diving, rope swinging, and exploring the different waterfall tiers.
- Access: Getting to the falls involves a short 15-20 minute hike through a lush forest trail from the registration area. The trek is relatively easy and suitable for most fitness levels.
- Natural Surroundings: The falls is surrounded by a rich tropical landscape, enhancing the tranquil and refreshing experience it offers to visitors.
- Local Guides: Local guides are available to lead the way to the falls and can provide assistance and safety information for activities such as cliff diving.
- Conservation: Efforts are made to keep the falls and its surrounding areas clean and preserved, reflecting the region’s commitment to eco-tourism.
ADVENTURE BAG FROM SAMBOAN WATERFALL ADVENTURES
This is an adventure bag. It is full of trash. Every time I go on an adventure I collect one adventure bag full of trash. It’s my small way of saying thanks to mother nature for allowing me to enjoy her beautiful creations.
If we have time to go on an adventure we have time to collect an adventure bag on the way back out of the trail once we have enjoyed the waterfall, the hike or the beach. Adventure hard!
Tag your @adventurebagcrew on Instagram and mention @adventurebagcrew in your Instagram stories to be featured and inspire your friends, family, and followers to join the movement!
WHERE TO STAY IN CEBU?
I really think that if you are going to be exploring Cebu, the best place to stay is in Moalboal. There are a few reasons why!
Cebu City might be where you land at the airport but if you are looking for adventure, you will need to head south as soon as possible. Most of the best waterfalls, whale sharks, snorkeling with sardines and turtles are all down in the south of Cebu. So where do you stay to do all of these adventures? Moalboal!
Moalboal is a cool town, which is the free-diving and scuba capital of Cebu. There are tons of hostels, hotels, and hostels here as well as being close to all the waterfalls and hikes in the region.
Here are my recommendations on where to stay in Moalboal depending on your budget.
- Teobas Homestay – Value: You need to click on that link just to see how rad this place is. It has a staircase down to the ocean into crystal clear water. I can tell you, I have snorkeled out the front of this place with turtles many times. For about $30 USD you get a private room with all of the facilities you need. There is not much better than having ocean access and a bit of a sunset view!
- Dolphin House Resort – Luxury: If you are looking for a nice resort, Dolphin House is a 5-star resort with a huge pool for less than $200 USD per night. It has ocean access, great restaurant, chilling areas and a beautiful garden throughout the property.
MORE CEBU TRAVEL GUIDES
- Ultimate Cebu Bucketlist: 26 AWESOME THINGS TO DO ON CEBU
- Canyoneering Guide: KAWASAN FALLS CEBU CANYONEERING
- Ultimate Oslob Guide: WHAT TO DO IN OSLOB CEBU
- Digital Nomad Guide to Moalboal: THE DIGITAL NOMAD GUIDE TO MOALBOAL, CEBU
- Waterfall Chasing: 14 BEST WATERFALLS IN CEBU
- Moalboal Guide: 20 BEST THINGS TO DO IN MOALBOAL
- Alegria Guide: 13 BEST THINGS TO DO IN ALEGRIA
- Hiking Osmena Peak: OSMEÑA PEAK IN CEBU – A BEAUTIFUL SUNRISE HIKE
MORE OF MY PHILIPPINES GUIDES
- The Ultimate Philippines Itinerary: 3-4 WEEK PHILIPPINES ITINERARY
- Best Island Hopping Trip: BIG DREAM BOAT MAN IN CORON
- The Backpacker’s Guide to the Philippines: 1 MONTH FOR $800
- Ultimate Guide to Coron: 22 AWESOME THINGS TO DO IN CORON
- Ultimate Guide to Siargao: 40 AWESOME THINGS TO DO IN SIARGAO
- Ultimate Guide to Romblon: 17 AWESOME THINGS TO DO IN ROMBLON
- Ultimate Guide to El Nido: 20 AWESOME THINGS TO DO IN EL NIDO
- Ultimate Guide to Bohol: 27 AWESOME THINGS TO DO IN BOHOL
- Ultimate Guide to Sibuyan: 9 AWESOME THINGS TO DO IN SIBUYAN
MY ACCOMMODATION GUIDES FOR THE PHILIPPINES
- Luxury in South Cebu: 18 BEST SOUTH CEBU RESORTS
- Bucketlist: 13 BEST PHILIPPINES OVERWATER BUNGALOWS
- Beach Resorts in North Cebu: BEST RESORTS IN CEBU
- El Nido Resorts: 12 BEST RESORTS IN EL NIDO
- Moalboal Accommodation: WHERE TO STAY IN MOALBOAL
- Panglao Resorts: 13 BEST LUXURY RESORTS IN PANGLAO
- Siargao Accommodation: WHERE TO STAY IN SIARGAO
- Hostels in Cebu: 10 BEST HOSTELS IN CEBU
- Sustainable Resorts: 12 BEST ECO RESORTS IN THE PHILIPPINES
- Coron Accommodation: WHERE TO STAY IN CORON