Pass Island is one of the hidden gems of Coron with pure white sand, coconut trees and a couple of bungalows. It is absolute paradise and an amazing place for an overnight stay in simple but comfortable accommodation. It’s one of the several stops on the Coron Island Hopping & Snorkeling Tour. I visited Pass Island on my 3-day, 4-Night Big Dream Boat Man Island Hopping Trip and it was one of my favorite stops
PASS ISLAND: THE COMPLETE GUIDE
Pass Island in Coron, Palawan is a quiet getaway with clear blue waters, white sandy beaches, and lots of palm trees. It’s a bit off the main tourist path, which means it’s less crowded. The clear waters around the island are great for snorkeling and diving because of the colorful coral and fish. If you’re looking for a relaxed beach day away from the hustle, Pass Island is a good pick.
3 POPULAR CORON TOURS
- Coron Island Hopping Trip: The iconic boat trip to amazing Kayangan Lake & Barracuda Lake. Best value and most popular
- Snorkeling, Shipwrecks, Private Islands (Island Hopping D): Pass Island, Lusong Gunboat Shipwreck Snorkel & Coral Gardens. This is my favorite island hopping in Coron and is the snorkeling paradise & active tour.
- Coron Land Tour: Get to know Coron! Visit Mt Tapyas viewing deck, Maquinit Hot Spring and important sites around town. Great for a day off from snorkeling and island hopping.
I only recommend tours with Guide To The Philippines, who are a locally owned company and the most RELIABLE & PROFESSIONAL in Coron with small group sizes.
WHERE IS PASS ISLAND
Pass Island is a small island off of Busuanga in Palawan, Philippines located near the Calamianes Islands. It is about 1.5-2 hours by outrigger boat from Coron Town. I have pinned it on the map below so you can understand where it is in relation to Coron Town (Busuanga).
HOW TO GET TO PASS ISLAND
There are two main ways to get to Pass Island and I’ll share them all but I personally visited on a tour with Big Dream Boat Man on a 3-day expedition of Coron.
- From Busuanga (Coron Town): From Coron Town there is one great Coron Island Hopping & Snorkelng Tour, which includes a visit to Pass Island. The regular tours such as the Coron Ultimate Island Hopping Tour include the classic spots like Kayangan Lake and Barracuda Lake.
- Big Dream Boat Man (How I visited): Big Dream Boat Man is a 3-night Coron island hopping tour expedition that is different from the rest. Instead of battling the crowds, the sea of life-jackets and the lines, Big Dream Boat Man takes you to the hotspots such as Kayangan Lake and Twin Lagoon before the crowds come. After spending one day at the hotspots, Big Dream Boat Man veers away and guides you on an expedition to some of the hidden gems such as Pass Island and off-the-beaten-path locations in Coron, which in my opinion were equally as impressive if not more so than the famous spots on Coron Island. We free-dived at WWII shipwrecks, camped on secluded beaches, swam with stingrays, counted the stars from the beach at night and ate like kings during our island hopping tour with Big Dream Boat Man.
If you want to read the big blog post about my Big Dream Boat Man 4-day journey you can head over to read that by clicking here.
BIG DREAM BOAT MAN ISLAND HOPPING TRIP
Big Dream Boat Man is a locally owned tour company that offers THE BEST island-hopping experience in Coron on their private 3-day, 4-night trip throughout the islands nearby Coron.
Reasons to book with Big Dream Boat Man
- Skip the crowds: Visit popular spots like Kayangan Lake, Barracuda Lake and Lusong gunboat BEFORE the crowds arrive.
- Secluded Spots: Visit islands that the daytrippers can’t reach.
- Sunrise & Sunset: Stay overnight at secluded islands in cabins and tents on the beach. Enjoy bonfires, drinks and a fun atmosphere.
ACCOMMODATION ON PASS ISLAND
On Pass Island, you can camp or rent one of the bungalows for about 1000 PHP per night, which is about $20 USD. Inside the bungalow is a fan, a mattress, pillow, sheets, light and an electrical outlet. To be honest that is all the essentials right there and might we could have a great night sleep, charge our gear and be ready for another day of exploration.
I had a really great nights sleep here on Pass Island and woke up for sunrise feeling relaxed and ready to go. Note: There are also bathrooms including showers and toilets for your use while on the island.
WHEN TO VISIT PASS ISLAND
When we arrived it was perfectly in the golden hour, no-one else was on the island and it was truly a tropical paradise. Our boat pulled in and we sat beneath the coconut trees and watched the pastel sky before relocating to the hill to watch the final moments of sunset. The isolation of this island paired with its white sand, coconut trees, and incredibly calm atmosphere make this one of the most beautiful spots to visit near Coron Island.
It’s best to visit in the dry season not only for the weather but for the calmer seas. In the wet season, the ocean can be unpredictable and big waves can be tough to handle in the outrigger. During the day the island can get busy. With our Big Dream Boat Man trip, we didn’t see any other tourists because we arrived just before the end of the day and left after sunrise to enjoy the best moments on the island with no crowds.
WHAT TO DO ON PASS ISLAND
- Basketball and volleyball court: We had a great basketball match with our guides on the court here at Pass Island
- Sunset Viewpoint: At the back of the island is a little hill that looks out over the ocean towards the sun and is the perfect spot to grab a beer and watch the sunset.
- Snorkeling: Like all spots in Coron, there is some great snorkeling to be done near Pass Island with corals and fish plentiful.
- Hanging out on the beach: With beautiful white sand and coconut trees, Pass Island is the perfect place to relax, read a book and work on your tan.
- Flying: If you are fortunate enough to have a drone, Pass Island is spectacular from the air and you will get a unique perspective of just how amazing the reef and water clarity is.
3 BEST PLACES TO STAY IN CORON
ARE YOU KEEPING UP WITH MY CORON SERIES?
- Best Island Hopping Experience: (4 Days & 3 Nights) Big Dream Boat Man Coron Tour Review.
- My Ultimate Travel Guide: Coron Travel Guide: 22 Awesome Things To Do
- A detailed activity schedule for you: Ultimate Coron Itinerary for 3-4 Days
- A comprehensive accommodation guide: 20 Best Places to Stay in Coron
- Best activity that is not in the water: Mt. Tapyas Hike for the best view in Coron.
Or you might want to jump to a few of my favorite spots in Coron:
- Read my blog post about Kayangan Lake
- Read my blog about Black Island
- Read my blog about Barracuda Lake
- Read my blog about Lusong Gunboat