Black Island, known to locals as Malajon Island, is a huge, mysterious looking island near Busuanga, Coron. From a distance, it has an eerie feeling despite its beautiful white beaches and coconut trees. Once you step foot onto the shore there are many hidden caves and secluded beaches to explore. It’s one of the several stops on the Busuanga Island Hopping Tour. I visited Black Island on my 3-day, 4-Night Big Dream Boat Man Island Hopping Trip and it was one of my favorite stops.
HOW TO GET TO BLACK ISLAND
There are really two main ways of reaching Black Island from Coron Town. It’s not on the itinerary of most of the regular Coron island hopping tours. This is because it is much further and the regular tours, like the Ultimate Coron Island Hopping Tour, stick closer to the popular spots like Kayangan Lake and Barracuda Lake. The two main options you have are below:
- Busuanga Island Hopping Tour – This trip is a pretty sweet itinerary including Black Island, Salvacion Town and Concepcion Falls.
- Big Dream Boat Man 3-Day, 4-Night Island Hopping Trip – On this trip, you will spend four days exploring all of the amazing beaches, sandbars, islands, shipwrecks, and snorkeling spots in the Coron region. You sleep on the islands in cabins or tents and its an amazing experience. I was lucky enough to join back in 2019. You can read my full review on the ‘Coron Experience’ with Big Dream Boat Man.
WHERE IS BLACK ISLAND
Black Island is located on the north-western corner of Busuanga Island, which is commonly known by tourists incorrectly as ‘Coron’. Busuanga Island is where all the hotels, restaurants and airports are and the island that acts as the base for all tours of Coron Island (where you will find Kayangan Lake and Twin Lagoon). I have pinned the location of Black Island below but note it is located by it’s local name, Malajon Island, by Google Maps.
3 POPULAR CORON TOURS
- Coron Island Hopping Trip: The iconic boat trip to amazing Kayangan Lake & Barracuda Lake. Best value and most popular
- Snorkeling, Shipwrecks, Private Islands (Island Hopping D): Pass Island, Lusong Gunboat Shipwreck Snorkel & Coral Gardens. This is my favorite island hopping in Coron and is the snorkeling paradise & active tour.
- Coron Land Tour: Get to know Coron! Visit Mt Tapyas viewing deck, Maquinit Hot Spring and important sites around town. Great for a day off from snorkeling and island hopping.
I only recommend tours with Guide To The Philippines, who are a locally owned company and the most RELIABLE & PROFESSIONAL in Coron with small group sizes.
MY EXPERIENCE AT BLACK ISLAND
As we slowly cruised closer to Black Island, the water was still and the clouds were reflecting on the mirror-like surface. It was slightly gloomy, there was no other movement and there was a bit of an eerie feeling. Black Island is a bit ominously shaped with lots of sharp cuts in the rock, which form private beaches. I discovered this while flying my drone above.
The reef surrounding Black Island is phenomenal and awesome for shallow water snorkeling or it has a huge drop-off for free-divers. Essentially no matter what you are trying to do in the water this is a perfect spot for you. We saw lots of different coral and fish species here as well as a few good spots for cliff jumping if you are game!
Black Island has one main strip of beach with a few huts and coconut trees to chill under. It reminded me of Seven Commando Beach in El Nido without all of the people!
We explored a couple of the beaches, one of which you need to explore through the cave and do a little hike down to reach the shore. I suggest spending as much time at Black Island as possible because it truly does have a lot to explore.
BLACK ISLAND CAVES
The highlight of Black Island (aside from the snorkeling) was definitely the caves. After our snorkel, we headed inland onto Black Island to check out the caves. The first cave was huge with at least 40-feet between floor and ceiling. Two crystal-clear pools shone as the morning light flooded into the cave.
You can swim and even cliff jump into both or simply admire the stalactites and rock formations from within the depths of the cave. We then headed down to the other end of the beach and climbed up through another cave this time emerging onto a private beach around the corner where our guides met us with snorkel gear and the SUP.
We explored this area and laid out on the beach. These were dream moments, isolated in paradise. Bring a torch for the second cave but you won’t need one in the first cave.
BEST TIME TO VISIT BLACK ISLAND
The best time to visit Black Island in Coron is during the dry season from December to May, offering sunny days and calmer seas ideal for island activities. March to May are peak tourist months, so expect more visitors. While the rainy season from June to November offers fewer crowds, weather can be unpredictable with potential typhoons. For a balance between good weather and fewer tourists, consider the shoulder months of late November, early December, or late May. Always check local forecasts and book in advance during peak seasons.
BIG DREAM BOAT MAN ISLAND HOPPING TRIP
Big Dream Boat Man is a locally owned tour company that offers THE BEST island-hopping experience in Coron on their private 3-day, 4-night trip throughout the islands nearby Coron.
Reasons to book with Big Dream Boat Man
- Skip the crowds: Visit popular spots like Kayangan Lake, Barracuda Lake and Lusong gunboat BEFORE the crowds arrive.
- Secluded Spots: Visit islands that the daytrippers can’t reach.
- Sunrise & Sunset: Stay overnight at secluded islands in cabins and tents on the beach. Enjoy bonfires, drinks and a fun atmosphere.
3 BEST PLACES TO STAY IN CORON
WHERE TO STAY IN CORON TOWN
Coron Town is the base for all of your adventures in Coron. In Coron Town you have the bars, restaurants, transport, places to book tours and you are close to Mt. Tapyas and Maquinit Hot Spring. It is also just a $3 shuttle to the airport. Below are my three picks plus one all-inclusive resort (I’ve stayed multiple times) that includes private island hopping.
- The Funny Lion (Good Atmosphere): The Funny Lion is a boutique resort in Coron that I visited several years ago. Let’s just say that beer from the hot tub with one of the best sunset views in Coron is about as good as it gets. It’s ultra-modern and has a spa, pool, and immaculate rooms. The rooftop bar and dining is an awesome place to be after a long day of island-hopping in Coron.
- Two Seasons Coron Bayside Hotel (Value): Located by the bay in Coron Town, this upscale hotel features an infinity pool which makes for a picture-perfect sunset view (Possibly the best sunset hotel view in Coron). If you want comfort and luxury at the same time this place is for you. It has its own private dock so you just leave straight to the island-hopping tours from your hotel room!
- Casa Fidelis Resort All-inclusive (Includes private island hopping): I had the most amazing stay at Casa Fidelis. The villa had a large patio area that looked out over the garden. Stepping stones led you from the room to the dining area, where we had decadent spreads of gourmet food for every meal. Casa
ARE YOU KEEPING UP WITH MY CORON SERIES?
- Best Island Hopping Experience: (4 Days & 3 Nights) Big Dream Boat Man Coron Tour Review.
- My Ultimate Travel Guide: Coron Travel Guide: 22 Awesome Things To Do
- A detailed activity schedule for you: Ultimate Coron Itinerary for 3-4 Days
- A comprehensive accommodation guide: 20 Best Places to Stay in Coron
- Best activity that is not in the water: Mt. Tapyas Hike for the best view in Coron.
Or you might want to jump to a few of my favorite spots in Coron:
- Read my blog post about Kayangan Lake
- Read my blog about Black Island
- Read my blog about Barracuda Lake
- Read my blog about Lusong Gunboat