Lusong Shipwreck is a WWII vessel that is now an amazing dive site and snorkel site in the Coron region. The Lusong Coral Garden is one of the top-rated reefs in Coron that is lightly visited due to its location compared to the popular lagoons and beaches of Coron Island. Both locations were unbelievable for freediving and we did our best to capture the sheer drop-offs of Lusong Coral Garden and the depth of the Lusong Gun Boat in our photos.
HOW TO GET TO LUSONG GUNBOAT WRECK
There are two main ways to get to Lusong Gunboat Shipwreck Island and I’ll share them all but I personally visited on a tour with Big Dream Boat Man on a 3-day expedition of Coron.
- From Busuanga (Coron Town): From Coron Town there is one great Coron Island Hopping & Snorkelng Tour, which includes a visit to Pass Island & Lusong Gunboat Shipwreck. The regular tours such as the Coron Ultimate Island Hopping Tour include the classic spots like Kayangan Lake and Barracuda Lake.
- Big Dream Boat Man (How I visited): Big Dream Boat Man is a 3-night Coron island hopping tour expedition that is different from the rest. Instead of battling the crowds, the sea of life-jackets and the lines, Big Dream Boat Man takes you to the hotspots such as Kayangan Lake and Twin Lagoon before the crowds come. After spending one day at the hotspots, Big Dream Boat Man veers away and guides you on an expedition to some of the hidden gems such as Pass Island and off-the-beaten-path locations in Coron, which in my opinion were equally as impressive if not more so than the famous spots on Coron Island. We free-dived at WWII shipwrecks, camped on secluded beaches, swam with stingrays, counted the stars from the beach at night and ate like kings during our island hopping tour with Big Dream Boat Man.
BIG DREAM BOAT MAN ISLAND HOPPING TRIP
Big Dream Boat Man is a locally owned tour company that offers THE BEST island-hopping experience in Coron on their private 3-day, 4-night trip throughout the islands nearby Coron.
Reasons to book with Big Dream Boat Man
- Skip the crowds: Visit popular spots like Kayangan Lake, Barracuda Lake and Lusong gunboat BEFORE the crowds arrive.
- Secluded Spots: Visit islands that the daytrippers can’t reach.
- Sunrise & Sunset: Stay overnight at secluded islands in cabins and tents on the beach. Enjoy bonfires, drinks and a fun atmosphere.
LUSONG GUNBOAT SHIPWRECK HISTORY
The Lusong Gunboat, found near Lusong Island in Coron, Palawan, is one of the several World War II Japanese shipwrecks in the area. The waters around Coron are known for these wrecks, remnants of the Imperial Japanese fleet that took refuge in the area during the war. In 1944, as part of the broader Pacific campaign, American forces targeted these Japanese vessels in a series of airstrikes. These attacks resulted in the sinking of multiple ships, creating an underwater graveyard that has since become a haven for divers.
The Lusong Gunboat is one of the more accessible wrecks, lying in relatively shallow water. This makes it an excellent site for snorkelers as well as beginner divers. Over time, the gunboat has transformed into an artificial reef, with corals colonizing its structure and a variety of marine life calling it home.
3 POPULAR CORON TOURS
- Coron Island Hopping Trip: The iconic boat trip to amazing Kayangan Lake & Barracuda Lake. Best value and most popular
- Snorkeling, Shipwrecks, Private Islands (Island Hopping D): Pass Island, Lusong Gunboat Shipwreck Snorkel & Coral Gardens. This is my favorite island hopping in Coron and is the snorkeling paradise & active tour.
- Coron Land Tour: Get to know Coron! Visit Mt Tapyas viewing deck, Maquinit Hot Spring and important sites around town. Great for a day off from snorkeling and island hopping.
I only recommend tours with Guide To The Philippines, who are a locally owned company and the most RELIABLE & PROFESSIONAL in Coron with small group sizes.
LUSONG GUNBOAT SHIPWRECK FREEDIVING
We arrived at the Lusong Gunboat Shipwreck and our guide had told us that it was only 2-feet underwater but also 25-feet underwater. I didn’t know quite what to expect after hearing those measurements.
When we first got a glimpse from the boat we could see a small outline of a bit of the wreck on one side. Our guide told us to wait till we were in and we would understand. Boy, was he right!
As soon as we hit the water it was right there. A huge gunboat from WWII encrusted in corals, barnacles, and marine life. It was magnificent and incredibly breathtaking because of the sheer size of the ship.
You could start at the shallow part and slowly make your way to the deeper end. This angle made it perfect for snorkelers who like to stay at the surface or freedivers who prefer to get down deeper while exploring. You can actually dive down inside the wreck, which was super cool.
Lusong Gunboat Shipwreck is one of the twelve World War II Japanese Supply Ships that were hit by an airstrike while anchored in Coron Bay. The ship sunk to a depth of 10-meters where it now lays on an angle on its side.
It’s possible to spot lots of marine life at the Lusong Gunboat Shipwreck such as Parrotfish, Damselfish, Stonefish, Nudi Branch and the beautiful Lion Fish.
Unlike the Skeleton Wreck near Coron Island, this wreck is close to the surface so all snorkelers, free-divers and scuba divers can get a really close look!
LUSONG CORAL GARDEN
Just around the corner from the shipwreck is a beautiful reef known as the Lusong Coral Garden. Here you can find crystal clear water with incredible visibility. There is a huge variety of coral that grows up and down the drop-off wall. Many guides claim that Lusong Coral Garden is the best snorkeling site in Coron where the colorful Corals outnumber the fish.
There is a really handy current here that pushes you along the shelf so you almost don’t have to kick with your fins if you and your guide can manage to drop in at the right spot. I was really surprised by just how good the snorkeling was at this site.
WHERE IS THE LUSONG GUNBOAT SHIPWRECK
The Lusong Gunboat Shipwreck and Coral Garden are located on the southwest side of Busuanga. Although they are close to the coast of Busuanga they are much further from Coron Town that Coron Island. Most tours don’t get out there so it is still a pretty quiet spot although dive boats and snorkel groups to visit it daily.
Compared to the thousands that frequent Coron Island this is a gem worth visiting if you are trying to avoid the crowds. I have pinned the location of the Lusong Gunboat shipwreck and
BEST TIME TO VISIT LUSONG GUNBOAT SHIPWRECK
The best time to visit the Lusong Gunboat Shipwreck in Coron is during the dry season, from November to May. These months offer clearer waters, providing excellent visibility for snorkelers and divers looking to explore the shipwreck and its vibrant marine life. While the peak of tourist activity falls between December and March, those seeking a more serene experience might opt for the months just before or after this window. However, the Lusong Gunboat’s shallow depth ensures a relatively clear view year-round, but the dry season guarantees optimal conditions.
3 BEST PLACES TO STAY IN CORON
WHERE TO STAY IN CORON TOWN
Coron Town is the base for all of your adventures in Coron. In Coron Town you have the bars, restaurants, transport, places to book tours and you are close to Mt. Tapyas and Maquinit Hot Spring. It is also just a $3 shuttle to the airport. Below are my three picks plus one all-inclusive resort (I’ve stayed multiple times) that includes private island hopping.
- The Funny Lion (Good Atmosphere): The Funny Lion is a boutique resort in Coron that I visited several years ago. Let’s just say that beer from the hot tub with one of the best sunset views in Coron is about as good as it gets. It’s ultra-modern and has a spa, pool, and immaculate rooms. The rooftop bar and dining is an awesome place to be after a long day of island-hopping in Coron.
- Two Seasons Coron Bayside Hotel (Value): Located by the bay in Coron Town, this upscale hotel features an infinity pool which makes for a picture-perfect sunset view (Possibly the best sunset hotel view in Coron). If you want comfort and luxury at the same time this place is for you. It has its own private dock so you just leave straight to the island-hopping tours from your hotel room!
- Casa Fidelis Resort All-inclusive (Includes private island hopping): I had the most amazing stay at Casa Fidelis. The villa had a large patio area that looked out over the garden. Stepping stones led you from the room to the dining area, where we had decadent spreads of gourmet food for every meal. Casa
ARE YOU KEEPING UP WITH MY CORON SERIES?
- Best Island Hopping Experience: (4 Days & 3 Nights) Big Dream Boat Man Coron Tour Review.
- My Ultimate Travel Guide: Coron Travel Guide: 22 Awesome Things To Do
- A detailed activity schedule for you: Ultimate Coron Itinerary for 3-4 Days
- A comprehensive accommodation guide: 20 Best Places to Stay in Coron
- Best activity that is not in the water: Mt. Tapyas Hike for the best view in Coron.
Or you might want to jump to a few of my favorite spots in Coron:
- Read my blog post about Kayangan Lake
- Read my blog about Black Island
- Read my blog about Barracuda Lake
- Read my blog about Lusong Gunboat