Electric Beach or “Electrics” is a 40-minute is one of the best snorkeling beaches on Oahu The official name of Electrics is Kahe Point Beach Park but locals know this spot by its nickname first. It is called Electric Beach because there is a power plant beside this narrow enclave.
The warm water from the power plant attracts an abundance of sea life, making it one of the best places to snorkel on Oahu. It doesn’t have postcard palms or a mile-long stretch of sand, but you don’t come here for landscapes. The real action is under the water.
SNORKELING AT ELECTRIC BEACH (KAHE POINT)
In this blog post, I will share with you all of the things you need to know about Electric Beach such as how to get there, is safe to swim at Electric Beach, what sea-life you can expect, and the top tours from Waikiki that take you on a snorkeling trip to this beautiful location. You may be interested in reading my big guide about the Top Snorkeling Tours on Oahu or the Top Boat Tours on Oahu.
BEST RENTAL CAR COMPANY IN HAWAII
WHY IS IT CALLED ELECTRIC BEACH?
The beach is next to the Hawaiian Electric Plant, which outflows clean warm water through two large cooling pipes. The pipes run out into the ocean and at the opening, the water temperature is several degrees warmer than normal, which attracts a variety of sea life.
BEST TOUR FOR SNORKELING WITH TURTLES AND DOLPHINS NEAR ELECTRIC BEACH
Tour: Eco-Friendly Dolphin and Snorkel Half-Day Cruise (Best Seller)
Set sail along the turquoise waters of Hawaii’s coast heading towards Ko Olina coast. Keep your eyes peeled for the playful Spinner Dolphins who live in these waters. During the snorkeling session, jump in for a snorkel adventure of a lifetime
Click Here to check the rates and availability of this tour on the booking website.
IS IT SAFE TO SWIM AT ELECTRIC BEACH (KAHE POINT BEACH PARK)
There is a small channel that you need to swim out of before you reach the open ocean. This can be a little turbulent so keep your eyes open until you get through the channel. Turtles are sometimes in the channel but it isn’t the best place to stop and look as the current is strong. The waves break onto the beach through this channel, which is about 30-meters wide. If it is a rough day, you can have a hard time getting out of the channel to the open water.
The main thing is to consider your own swimming ability. Locals and comfortable swimmers will have no problem at this beach but if you are new to snorkeling and swimming in the ocean, I wouldn’t suggest going to this beach without a local guide. The waves can rattle some people in the channel and then you are in deep water out in the open with nowhere to rest. This isn’t a good spot for those not confident in the water or kids that will get tired and have little experience with snorkeling.
THE FOUR MOST POPULAR OAHU TOURS
- Doors-Off Oahu Helicopter Flight Tour: My number one recommendation is to do a heli-flight (doors off) and be blown away when you see Oahu from the air.
- North Shore Shark Cage Tour: The biggest adrenaline rush you can have in Hawaii is beneath the surface with sharks!
- Eco-Friendly Dolphin and Snorkel Tour: One of the best experiences I had on Oahu was swimming with the beautiful spinner dolphins on this exact tour.
- Turtle Canyon Snorkel Cruise by Catamaran: The number 1 MOST POPULAR snorkel tour on Oahu. GUARANTEED Turtles!
WHAT TO EXPECT AT ELECTRIC BEACH (KAHE POINT BEACH PARK)
Not only is there an abundance of sea life, but the water clarity is also as good as it gets on Oahu. This beach provides a perfect combination of clear water and tons to see.
Once you are out through the entrance channel, keep your eyes open as you are now in Hawaiian Sea Turtle territory. I have snorkeled here more than 15 times and have seen at least one turtle on every swim.
Schools of Angelfish will float by as well as Butterfly fish, Parrot fish, Damsel fish, Surgeon fish. An abundance of coral on the seafloor is home to the vast array of fish, eels, and hundreds of different species of sea creatures.
Before you know it, you will be in depths of more than 40 feet. There is old machinery and other cool things to dive down to and check out. In water this deep, the atmosphere is truly amazing, it feels like you are on another planet, it’s truly beautiful.
DOLPHINS AT ELECTRIC BEACH (KAHE POINT BEACH PARK)
In the distance, you will see a lot of charter boats. They are part of dolphin excursions and turtle excursions and tours.
Put your head underwater and if you hear the squealing noises of dolphins you can swim out further and hopefully swim with a pod of Spinner Dolphins. Sometimes you can see them from the beach too.
I swam with dolphins at this beach and was less than 400 yards from shore, which isn’t a huge swim with fins on. I have also heard whale noises while underwater at this beach but am yet to swim with a whale.
IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER TO RESPECT THE SEALIFE AND RULES
Respect the sea life by not touching, chasing, or harassing them. Turtles will often hang around you if you are calm, but they won’t hesitate to swim away if you get too close to them. It is a privilege to witness wildlife in their natural habitat, be sure to respect all of the creatures you encounter and the nature that surrounds you. The official rule is to always be at least 5m away from turtles and all sea life.
WHERE TO STAY ON OAHU
- Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach Resort (Overall Favorite): In the heart of Waikiki, this high-end resort is right on the beach with a private lagoon.
- Sheraton Waikiki (Luxury): A luxury resort with the most amazing infinity pool on the island, which overlooks the beach.
- Ewa Hotel Waikiki: (Value): Ewa Hotel is just one block back from the beach and is just over $150 USD.
- Waikiki Beachside Hostel (Budget Choice): A budget alternative, which is still in an amazing location.
- Disney Aulani Resort (Family Choice): This is a resort your kids will never forget. It honestly feels like you are living in a theme park.
MORE OAHU BLOG POSTS
I lived on Oahu for two years and loved adventuring from the beaches to the mountains to the waterfalls! These are my most popular blog post and guides from the beautiful island of Oahu to help you plan your trip!
- What to pack for Hawaii: THE HAWAII PACKING LIST: WHAT TO PACK
- A helpful guide to choosing accommodation: WHERE TO STAY ON OAHU
- Most epic hike on Oahu: THE STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN OAHU, HAWAII
- The best Waterfalls: AMAZING WATERFALLS ON OAHU, HAWAII
- Ultimate Cliff Jumping Guide: 11 BEST CLIFF JUMPING SPOTS ON OAHU
- Guide to Swimming with Sea Turtles: WHERE TO SEE TURTLES ON OAHU
- The best Waterfall Hikes: TOP WATERFALL HIKES ON OAHU
- Best Tours: 20 BEST TOURS ON OAHU
- The Ultimate Guide to Oahu: 80 AWESOME THINGS TO DO ON OAHU