My personal Hawaii packing list for an adventurous week of outdoor fun on Oahu, so that you can spend your time exploring instead of shopping for the stuff you forgot!
TEXT BY JESSICA BLACKMUN // IMAGES BY JACKSON GROVES
Where to stay on Oahu?
Here are a few of the most popular hotels on Oahu:
- Hilton Waikiki Beach Hotel (High-end): In the heart of Waikiki, this high-end resort is right on the beach. Luxury rooms overlooking the beach, a private lagoon and a free fireworks and dance performance show. Hilton is easily the most recognizable hotel on the Island.
- Sheraton Waikiki (High-end): A luxury resort with the most amazing infinity pool on the island, which overlooks the beach. The bar and nightclub at the Sheraton is a great place to relax after a long day of island adventures.
- Ramada Plaza Waikiki (Mid Range): The perfect way to enjoy Oahu in a beautiful hotel without blowing the bank. This hotel has a rooftop pool and a restaurant but will only set you back around $100.
- Waikiki Beachside Hostel (Budget): A budget alternative, which is still in an amazing location. Walking distance to Waikiki beach and a central location to base yourself for a week of adventures.
HAWAII PACKING LIST FOR HER
Do you ever get to your destination just to wish you could’ve known better and packed differently? Do you over pack, under pack? To be honest I’m always a bit of an over packer but I try to have the philosophy “if you forget anything you need, you’ll probably be able to find it”. However, I also believe in the sense of economizing wherever possible while on holiday and sometimes it’s in your wallet’s best interest if you just bring the things you need from home.
Here’s a suggested list for you so you know exactly what you need for an adventurous week in Hawaii.
- 3 pairs of workout shorts or leggings
- 2 pairs of workout tops
- 2+ sports bras
You will need workout clothes for hiking, outdoor activities, and working out!
- 3 pairs of socks
You only need 3 pairs of socks because you will most likely spend the majority of your time in flip-flops.
- 7 pairs of underwear
- 2 bathing suits
2 bathing suits are plenty because you can wear one while the other dries. You could also get away with 1 if you aren’t planning on spending every day at the beach.
- 2 pairs of shorts
- 4 basic shirts (short sleeves and tank tops)
- 1 light sweatshirt
- 1 light coverup or jacket that can be dressed up
- 2 casual dresses
Dresses are nice to have as a swimsuit cover up or as an alternative outfit for going out.
- 1 pair of beach shoes
I recently tried Sea Star Beachwear espadrilles and loved them! They are awesome for adventuring along rocky shores. Wishing I would’ve had them for our Outrigger Canoe Adventure to the Mokulua Islands or Kayaking to Chinaman’s Hat!
- 1 pair of Flip-flops
- 1 pair of Running shoes
(if you plan on adventuring, bring a pair you wouldn’t mind destroying as the hikes on Oahu can be muddy!)
- 1 pair of casual sneakers
While you can get away wearing flip-flops to most places, running shoes are essential for adventuring. Sandals and casual sneakers are more preference based and become more necessary if you are going out to a nice dinner or checking out the nightlife.
- 1 pair of Sandals/wedges
- Shampoo and conditioner
(Everyone has their own favorite products, if you’re picky it’s smart to just bring little travel size bottles of yours from home.)
- Body wash
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Make up
*I left sunscreen off of the list because they sell it everywhere here cheaply so there is no point in wasting space in your bag for it! Another thing to think about is whether or not you are checking a bag. If you choose to forgo checking a bag, your toiletries become much more limited.
- Beach towel
If you are tight for space, most hotels provide beach towels, but check with yours if you aren’t sure.
- Small purse