HAWAII PACKING LIST FOR HER 2017
My personal Hawaii packing list for an adventurous week of outdoor fun on Oahu, so that you can spend your time exploring instead of shopping for the stuff you forgot!
TEXT BY JESSICA BLACKMUN // IMAGES BY JACKSON GROVES
HAWAII PACKING LIST FOR HER
Hawaii is the ultimate island getaway but there are a few activities and situations you also need to prepare. Think fancy dinners out in Waikiki to muddy hikes on Oahu’s slippery ridges. Here’s a suggested list for you so you know exactly what you need for an adventurous week in Hawaii.
- 3 pairs of workout shorts or leggings
- 2 pairs of workout tops
- 2+ sports bras
You will need workout clothes for hiking, outdoor activities, and working out!
- 3 pairs of socks
You only need 3 pairs of socks because you will most likely spend the majority of your time in flip-flops.
- 7 pairs of underwear
- 2 bathing suits
2 bathing suits are plenty because you can wear one while the other dries. You could also get away with 1 if you aren’t planning on spending every day at the beach.
- 2 pairs of shorts
- 4 basic shirts (short sleeves and tank tops)
- 1 light sweatshirt
- 1 light coverup or jacket that can be dressed up
- 2 casual dresses
Dresses are nice to have as a swimsuit cover up or as an alternate outfit for going out.
- 1 pair of beach shoes
I recently tried Sea Star Beachwear espadrilles and loved them! They are awesome for adventuring along rocky shores. Wishing I would’ve had them for our Outrigger Canoe Adventure to the Mokulua Islands or Kayaking to Chinaman’s Hat!
- 1 pair of Flip-flops
- 1 pair of Running shoes
(if you plan on adventuring, bring a pair you wouldn’t mind destroying as the hikes on Oahu can be muddy!)
- 1 pair of casual sneakers
While you can get away wearing flip-flops to most places, running shoes are essential for adventuring. Sandals and casual sneakers are more preference based and become more necessary if you are going out to a nice dinner or checking out the nightlife.
- 1 pair of Sandals/wedges
- Shampoo and conditioner
(Everyone has their own favorite products if you’re picky it’s smart to just bring little travel size bottles of yours from home.)
- Body wash
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
*I left sunscreen off of the list because they sell it everywhere here cheaply so there is no point in wasting space in your bag for it! Another thing to think about is whether or not you are checking a bag. If you choose to forgo checking a bag, your toiletries become much more limited.
- Beach towel
If you are tight for space, most hotels provide beach towels but check with yours if you aren’t sure.
- Small purse
Where to stay on Oahu?
These are the most popular hotels on Oahu by category:
- Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach Resort (High-end): In the heart of Waikiki, this high-end resort is right on the beach. Luxury rooms overlooking the beach, a private lagoon and a free fireworks and dance performance show. Hilton is easily the most recognizable hotel on the Island. Click here to check availability.
- Sheraton Waikiki (High-end): A luxury resort with the most amazing infinity pool on the island, which overlooks the beach. The bar and nightclub at the Sheraton is a great place to relax after a long day of island adventures. Click here to check availability.
- Ramada Plaza Waikiki (Mid-Range): The perfect way to enjoy Oahu in a beautiful hotel without blowing the bank. This hotel has a rooftop pool and a restaurant but will only set you back around $100. Click here to check availability.
- Waikiki Beachside Hostel (Budget): A budget alternative, which is still in an amazing location. Walking distance to Waikiki beach and a central location to base yourself for a week of adventures. Click here to check availability.
I wrote two guides almost as awesome as this bucket list you are about to read to help you find the perfect accommodation for your stay on Oahu. You can check either of them out by clicking on the links below:
Click to read – Waikiki Accommodation: Ultimate Hotel Guide
Click to read – The Best Hotels on the North Shore of Oahu