Tucked away on the eastern edge of Nusa Penida, Diamond Beach is a sight to behold. Think pristine white sands, crystal-clear waters, and some seriously impressive cliffs. The cherry on top? Those diamond-shaped rock formations that gave the beach its name. Now, getting down to the beach is a bit of a workout – there’s a steep staircase you’ll need to navigate. But hey, with those jaw-dropping views on your way down, you’ll hardly notice the climb. This place really is a slice of paradise.
Diamond Beach on Nusa Penida
The staircase at Diamond Beach on Nusa Penida, is arguably my favorite part of the entire beach. Walking down these stairs carved out of the cliff with an iconic scene below of blue water, white sand and palm trees is just surreal. There’s very few beach entrances in the world like this one. In this blog post, I’ll detail everything you need to know about visiting Diamond Beach on Nusa Penida.
HOW TO GET TO DIAMOND BEACH FROM BALI
If you are based in Bali you can join the Ultimate Nusa Penida Day Trip Tour from Bali tour with GetYourGuide. They will pick you up in the morning from your hotel in Bali, take you across to Nusa Penida by fast boat, and then bring you back to Bali in the evening after an incredible day of adventures. Remember to tell them which spots are on your Nusa Penida Bucket list and they will make it happen! If you are already on Nusa Penida, I’ll detail how to visit in the paragraph below.
BEST NUSA PENIDA TOURS!
These are the four most popular Nusa Penida Tours. I’ve done all four and they are AWESOME!
- Manta Ray Snorkel Tour (from Bali) – Most amazing experience to swim with Giant Manta’s.
- Manta Ray Snorkel Tour (from Penida) This is the cheaper option if already on Nusa Penida.
- BEST of Nusa Penida Day Tour (from Bali) Most booked day trip fro Bali to Penida with all highlights
- Nusa Penida Car Rental with Driver: Great way to see all the highlights and tourist spots.
WHERE IS DIAMOND BEACH ON NUSA PENIDA
Diamond Beach is near two other attractions on Nusa Penida that I highly recommend. Atuh Beach is to the left of Diamond Beach and Thousand Island Viewpoint is to the right. These would all make my top 10 things to do on Nusa Penida so I highly recommend visiting them all on the same day as they are conveniently located.
The hot tip is to not put Atuh Beach in your Google Maps. If you park on the left side of Atuh Beach you will then have to do a long drive all the way around. Whereas if you park at Diamond Beach parking lot you can access both beaches from the same parking lot. Thousand Island Viewpoint is then just a two-minute drive away from Diamond Beach parking lot. Learned that one the hard way.
All three spots are located on the east side of Nusa Penida and you would be onto a good thing if you made it out to Thousand Island Viewpoint for sunrise and then hit the beaches after. Drive safe, the roads on Nusa Penida aren’t great and I have crashed once on this island before! If you’re not a confident moped driver, it’s best to rent a car on Nusa Penida with private driver
Below, I have included a map and the parking lot of Diamond Beach is pinpointed. The parking lot I am suggesting to avoid is on the northern side of Atuh Beach. You want to take the road to the parking lot between Diamond Beach and Atuh Beach.
TOP 3 PLACES TO STAY ON NUSA PENIDA
I’ve written a massive, detailed guide about the Best Places To Stay on Nusa Penida….BUT If you just want me three favorites right now, here they are!
WHAT TO EXPECT AT DIAMOND BEACH ON NUSA PENIDA
When you arrive at the parking lot there is a $1 fee per person from memory (may have increased). This is to park your car and entrance to the beach all wrapped in one. Make sure to bring your reusable water bottle as there is only bottled water, soft drinks and snacks at the bottom of the beach in the warung for purchase.
Once you reach the top of the stairs you can already enjoy the beauty of Diamond Beach, but it only gets better and better as you walk down. You can really take in how these stairs were constructed. It was so fresh we could still see all of the chisel marks in the wall.
Often the cliff hangs entirely over your head. This walk down may scare some but it isn’t too challenging. They were still completing the final few steps on our visit but it was still far along enough for us to make it down to enjoy the beach. There were only two others down on the beach in the middle of the day. Diamond Beach made it onto my list of the Best 8 Beaches on Nusa Penida if you want to check that out too.
The huge cliffs tower over you as you lay on the untouched sand. It is almost a little nerve-wracking being below such a huge wall of rock. It reminded me of certain beaches near the twelve apostles on the Great Ocean Road.
The most important rock though is the diamond shaped rock in the shallows of the water. The beach is after all named after this diamond-shaped rock I believe.
We chilled out on the sand and then braved the waves and strong current to go for a swim. I highly recommend not swimming here unless you are a strong swimmer. I am a pretty strong swimmer and struggled against the current.
Obviously, the conditions change day-to-day so you need to make that call for yourself but be cautious. There is also some underlying reef and rock so it isn’t the best beach for swimming but it is definitely possible. There were also a few turtles about!
BEST CAMERA FOR BALI
The GoPro Hero11 is the BEST camera for traveling around Bali and Indonesia.
- Waterproof for snorkeling, island-hopping, hiking and beach days.
- Built-in stabilization for filming your travels and adventure activities
- 5.3K video and 27MP Photo to capture awesome memories of friends and family
What are my favorite pieces of gear for the beach?
There are three pieces of gear that I simply never forget when I go on a beach adventure. These are three items that I using right now and this list gets updated every year! Here are my beach essentials.
- PackTowl Quick-Dry Towel: A quick-dry towel is a must for travelers. It hardly takes up any room and dries in seconds.
- Osprey Ultralight Dry Sack: The beach can be a great place to ruin your precious gear so having this ultralight dry sack for cameras, phones and valuables mean you have a safe place to store everything.
- GoPro Hero 10: The best and easiest way to capture your underwater and snorkeling adventures.
ADVENTURE BAG FROM DIAMOND BEACH
While we were chilling on the beach the girls did a good job on Adventure Bag duty! Every time I go on an adventure I collect one adventure bag full of trash. It’s my small way of saying thanks to mother nature for allowing me to enjoy her beautiful creations.
If we have time to go on an adventure we have time to collect an adventure bag on the way back out of the trail once we have enjoyed the waterfall, the hike or the beach. Adventure hard!
Tag your @adventurebagcrew on Instagram and mention @adventurebagcrew in your Instagram stories to be featured and inspire your friends, family, and followers to join the movement!
Facts About Diamond Beach
- Location: Diamond Beach is situated on the eastern tip of Nusa Penida, one of the three Nusa Islands off the southeast coast of Bali, Indonesia.
- Unique Feature: The beach is named for its distinctive diamond-shaped rock formations. These natural structures, along with the surrounding cliffs, create a unique and photogenic landscape.
- Accessibility: The beach is accessible via a steep staircase carved into the cliffside. The descent offers panoramic views of the beach and the ocean.
- Natural Beauty: Diamond Beach is renowned for its white sandy beaches and clear turquoise waters, as well as its stunning cliffside views.
- Activities: Visitors can relax on the beach, swim in the ocean, and take photographs of the remarkable scenery. It’s important to note that swimming should only be done under safe conditions, as the currents can be strong.
- Nearby Attractions: Diamond Beach is near several other attractions on Nusa Penida, including Atuh Beach and the Tree House (Rumah Pohon), making it a popular stop on island tours.
- Tourism Development: Despite its natural beauty, Diamond Beach was relatively undiscovered until recent years. With the addition of the stairway and increased promotion of Nusa Penida as a tourist destination, the beach has seen a significant rise in visitors.
BEST NUSA PENIDA DAY TOURS
If you are staying in Bali.. take a day trip on a speedboat to explore the highlights of Nusa Penida. It takes just 35 minutes to get from Bali to Nusa Penida by speed boat. Yep, in just one day you can snorkel with Manta rays and visit lots of the best beaches and viewpoints.
Manta Ray Snorkeling Tour
Manta Ray Nusa Penida Tour (from Bali): Snorkeling with Manta Rays is a once-in-a-lifetime experience and one of the best wildlife encounters I’ve had in my life. The Manta Rays are majestic and very friendly. With a wingspan of 5m, these gentle giants cruise around you while you snorkel amongst them. The Nusa Penida Manta Ray Snorkel Tour includes pick up and drop off from your hotel in Bali and all transport and tickets included.
Nusa Penida Highlights Tour
Nusa Penida Highlights Tour: Get picked-up from your Bali hotel, take a 35-minute fast boat to Nusa Penida and then visit the most popular viewpoints, beaches and snorkel spots on the island. This small Nusa Penida Highlights Tour group tour is the most highly reviewed day trip for Nusa Penida Island. You’ll visit all the most popular spots and can request certain viewpoints on your itinerary. Places you will visit are sites like the ones listed below:
- Angel’s Billabong
- Kelingking T-Rex Beach
- Broken Beach
- Rumah Pohon Treehouse
- Snorkeling at Crystal Bay
- Thousand Island Viewpoint
How to get to the Nusa Islands
There are three main options to get to Nusa Penida depending on your budget and how many logistics you want to manage. Here are the three options with the cheapest first:
- Book your ticket: Sanur (Bali) to Nusa Lembongan – Book a regular ferry that leaves from Sanur to Nusa Penida on the reliable website 12go. You then need to moped or taxi across to Nusa Penida via another ferry/boat.
- Book a fast boat: Sanur (Bali) to Nusa Penida – This option is great as you go direct from Bali to Penida without having to stop in Lembongan. This option is only slightly more expensive than stopping in Lembongan. This is my favorite option of the three and can be booked on Klook.
- Book a fast boat with hotel pick-up: Sanur (Bali) to Nusa Penida – This option includes a fast boat from Sanur (Bali) to Nusa Penida but also includes pick-up from your hotel in Bali in a van. This option from GetYourGuide is a bit more expensive but takes all the hassle out of the transit from Bali to Nusa Penida.
MORE NUSA ISLANDS BLOG POSTS
There are a ton of epic things to do on Nusa Penida, but I also wrote detailed guides for all of the adventurous things to do on Nusa Lembongan, Nusa Ceningan. You can explore more of my guides by clicking one of the links below.
- NUSA ISLANDS GUIDE: LEMBONGAN, PENIDA, CENINGAN
- 27 AWESOME THINGS TO DO ON NUSA PENIDA
- 9 AWESOME THINGS TO DO ON NUSA LEMBONGAN
- 5 AWESOME THINGS TO DO ON NUSA CENINGAN
- BEST CLIFF JUMP SPOTS IN BALI, INDONESIA
- WHERE TO STAY ON NUSA PENIDA: EAST & WEST REGION
- THE PERFECT 3-DAY NUSA PENIDA ITINERARY
- BEST NUSA PENIDA DAY TRIP TOURS FROM BALI
- HOW TO GET TO NUSA PENIDA FROM BALI VIA FERRY/BOAT