Montpellier Falls isn’t the most popular destination amongst tourists in Alegria, Cebu. In fact, most probably don’t know about it. The locals are happy to share this one. They have painted a big mural and sign near the road, which marks the entrance. It is a great little watering hole without much of a hike and a great way to cool off after exploring Osmena Peak (on the same road).
MONTPELLIER FALLS: COMPLETE GUIDE
Situated in the unspoiled municipality of Alegria in Cebu, Philippines, Montpellier Falls is a breathtaking natural spectacle that offers tranquility away from the bustling city life. Tucked amid a lush, verdant landscape, this hidden waterfall cascades into a crystal-clear pool, creating a serene ambiance perfect for an afternoon adventure. In this blog post, I’ll share everything you need to know about visiting Montpellier Falls.
WHERE IS MONTPELLIER FALLS
Montpellier Waterfall is a little tough to find as there is no location yet on Google Maps. Don’t worry, I got you covered. Head along the main road into Alegria until you see Cosina Organica restaurant. Turn up towards the hills away from the ocean at this point.
I have pinned Cosina Organica on the map below. You can see the white road that goes up into the hills directly from Cosina Organica. Follow this road for about 20 minutes until you see a sign on your left. It is painted on a wall and it says, Montpellier Waterfall. There is a small hut here.
Park your vehicle here and head down the small trail to the left of the sign. It will wind you through some local houses but you can’t get lost and if you do the locals in the area will point you to continue along the path. The families in this area are super nice and the kids will probably want to join you and show you their beautiful waterfall.
MY 5 FAVORITE CEBU TOURS
- Oslob Whale Sharks & Moalboal Sardine Run Snorkeling – This combo tour is the BEST VALUE way to enjoy a guided and PRIVATE tour of the two most popular activities in Cebu.
- Moalboal Island Hopping & Pescador Island & Turtle Bay Snorkeling: Swim with turtles and the sardine balls on an island-hopping boat trip from Moalboal.
- Bluewater Sumilon Island Day Tour – Visit the crystal clear water of Sumilon Island on this day tour.
- Kawasan Falls Canyoneering Tour (BEST PRICE): The classic tour. Number one most booked activity in Cebu!
- Bohol Day tour from Cebu: Want to visit Bohol but are short of time? See the top sights on this one-day adventure including transport.
Click the orange button below to view all of the top-rated tours on Klook
MY EXPERIENCE AT MONTPELLIER FALLS
The hike down to Montpellier Waterfall takes about 15 minutes and is a beautiful trail looking out over the palm-covered hills. Throughout the trail, you can look back down the hills and get glimpses of the blue ocean in the distance.
After about ten minutes, you will reach some local houses. Continue through their backyard essentially and the trail continues to the waterfall. The families are really welcoming and friendly so of course, show a high level of respect as you are entering through their property.
The first time I visited they gave us some snacks. The second time I visited we collected a bag of trash from the waterfall area and she thanked us and took it and told us she would dispose of it for us. They have trash collection set up at the waterfall and do their best to maintain it.
Once you reach the waterfall you will have to crane your neck to take it in. It’s a tall one. A single flow of water plummets onto a giant boulder below before cascading into the emerald pool. It’s a great spot for swimming and hanging out with some of the local kids. I can’t imagine having something so epic in my backyard.. let alone my hometown!
INFORMATION ABOUT MONTPELLIER FALLS
- Location: Montpellier Falls is located in the town of Alegria in the southwestern part of Cebu, Philippines.
- Unspoiled Beauty: The falls is known for its untouched and unspoiled beauty, as it’s less frequented by tourists compared to other waterfalls in Cebu.
- Height: The waterfall cascades from a significant height, creating a powerful and impressive display.
- Swimming: The waterfall flows into a clear, inviting pool that’s ideal for swimming.
- Scenic Hike: Reaching the falls involves a scenic hike through lush vegetation, providing visitors with a close encounter with nature.
- Local Life: The surrounding area of the falls offers a glimpse into local life, with plantations and rural landscapes adding to the charm of the visit.
- Wildlife: The rich biodiversity in the area around Montpellier Falls includes various bird and insect species, adding to the overall appeal of the location.
- Conservation: As part of the area’s natural attractions, there are conservation efforts to maintain the pristine condition of the falls and its surroundings.
ADVENTURE BAG FROM MONTPELLIER WATERFALL
This is an adventure bag. It is full of trash. Every time I go on an adventure I collect one adventure bag full of trash. It’s my small way of saying thanks to mother nature for allowing me to enjoy her beautiful creations.
If we have time to go on an adventure we have time to collect an adventure bag on the way back out of the trail once we have enjoyed the waterfall, the hike or the beach. Adventure hard!
Tag your @adventurebagcrew on Instagram and mention @adventurebagcrew in your Instagram stories to be featured and inspire your friends, family, and followers to join the movement!
WHERE TO STAY IN CEBU?
I really think that if you are going to be exploring Cebu, the best place to stay is in Moalboal. There are a few reasons why!
Cebu City might be where you land at the airport but if you are looking for adventure, you will need to head south as soon as possible. Most of the best waterfalls, whale sharks, snorkeling with sardines and turtles are all down in the south of Cebu. So where do you stay to do all of these adventures? Moalboal!
Moalboal is a cool town, which is the free-diving and scuba capital of Cebu. There are tons of hostels, hotels, and hostels here as well as being close to all the waterfalls and hikes in the region.
Here are my recommendations on where to stay in Moalboal depending on your budget.
- Teobas Homestay – Value: You need to click on that link just to see how rad this place is. It has a staircase down to the ocean into crystal clear water. I can tell you, I have snorkeled out the front of this place with turtles many times. For about $30 USD you get a private room with all of the facilities you need. There is not much better than having ocean access and a bit of a sunset view!
- Dolphin House Resort – Luxury: If you are looking for a nice resort, Dolphin House is a 5-star resort with a huge pool for less than $200 USD per night. It has ocean access, great restaurant, chilling areas and a beautiful garden throughout the property.
MORE CEBU TRAVEL GUIDES
- Ultimate Cebu Bucketlist: 26 AWESOME THINGS TO DO ON CEBU
- Canyoneering Guide: KAWASAN FALLS CEBU CANYONEERING
- Ultimate Oslob Guide: WHAT TO DO IN OSLOB CEBU
- Digital Nomad Guide to Moalboal: THE DIGITAL NOMAD GUIDE TO MOALBOAL, CEBU
- Waterfall Chasing: 14 BEST WATERFALLS IN CEBU
- Moalboal Guide: 20 BEST THINGS TO DO IN MOALBOAL
- Alegria Guide: 13 BEST THINGS TO DO IN ALEGRIA
- Hiking Osmena Peak: OSMEÑA PEAK IN CEBU – A BEAUTIFUL SUNRISE HIKE
MORE OF MY PHILIPPINES GUIDES
- The Ultimate Philippines Itinerary: 3-4 WEEK PHILIPPINES ITINERARY
- Best Island Hopping Trip: BIG DREAM BOAT MAN IN CORON
- The Backpacker’s Guide to the Philippines: 1 MONTH FOR $800
- Ultimate Guide to Coron: 22 AWESOME THINGS TO DO IN CORON
- Ultimate Guide to Siargao: 40 AWESOME THINGS TO DO IN SIARGAO
- Ultimate Guide to Romblon: 17 AWESOME THINGS TO DO IN ROMBLON
- Ultimate Guide to El Nido: 20 AWESOME THINGS TO DO IN EL NIDO
- Ultimate Guide to Bohol: 27 AWESOME THINGS TO DO IN BOHOL
- Ultimate Guide to Sibuyan: 9 AWESOME THINGS TO DO IN SIBUYAN