Ella is a hiking hotspot in the mountain country of Sri Lanka. Some of the views from hikes in Ella are phenomenal with the region well known for its tea plantations and spectacular mountain ranges. If you want to enjoy some of the best views without needing to hike for hours, Little Adam’s Peak Hike is the perfect trek, especially for an unforgettable sunset.
How to get to Little Adam’s Peak from Ella
From the main strip in Ella, you can walk about 1.5kms to the start of the trail. The trailhead is right next to Ella Flower Garden Resort. We parked our car out the front of the resort/restaurant and hit the trail. The map below shows you the location of Little Adam’s Peak (also known as Mini Adam’s Peak) but you can also see where the trail hits the main road (the Flower Garden). An alternative entrance is also located at 98 acres resort and marked by a white Buddha. We went for sunset and only needed about an hour to reach the summit and we were super slow with all of our photos. Coming back down after sunset, we were the last to exit and it was quite dark. Worth it though and easily one of the best things to do in Sri Lanka!
Little Adam’s Peak Hike Entrance Fee
There was no entrance fee for Little Adam’s Peak hike, which was awesome!
Little Adam’s Peak Guided Tour (Includes Ella Rock & Nine Arch Bridge)
If you are in Ella and looking to visit Little Adam’s Peak but also want to see Ella Rock and the Famous Nine Arch Bridge, there is a great day-tour that packs it all in. It’s extremely good value considering you can tick off all three attractions in just one day for about $70. It is called the Ella Three Icons Day Tour.
Little Adam’s Peak Map
Below you will find a map showing how to get to the trailhead for Little Adam’s Peak.
Little Adam’s Peak Hike
The trail begins with a moderate incline as it winds through tea plantations. We passed several ladies with wide smiles who were finishing up work for the day. There are some great photo opportunities early on in the hike if you keep your eyes open!
The trail will lead you up to 1141m above sea level although you already begin at a high elevation so you will only hike up a few hundred meters. The trail is marked the whole way with well-maintained paths and stairs to the first set of viewpoints. As you can see below there are multiple platforms, rocks, and viewpoints perfect for photos once you hit the top of Little Adam’s Peak. Although, you can and should keep going along the ridge and the view only gets better.
Little Adam’s Peak Sunset
As you continue along the ridge the trail gets a little wilder and you might get a little dirty, managing your way up and down to the final viewpoint. I had my friends run ahead so I could shoot them on my 200mm, which resulted in some epic shots with the mountains looming in the background.
Once I caught up with them we all hung out at the top of Little Adam’s Peak with no one else around, taking in the mountains and the epic scenery of the 360-degree views. We probably waited a little too long to head back and ended up trekking back down in the dark.
For just a short hike, Little Adam’s Peak gives you unbelievable views and is the ideal way to spend sunset in Ella.
What are my favorite pieces of hiking gear?
There are four pieces of gear that I simply never forget when I go on a hike. These are four items that I using right now and this list gets updated every year! Here are my hiking essentials.
- Arcteryx BETA AR Rain Jacket: This is my go-to rain jacket. It’s super light, folds down into a tiny ball, and protects brilliantly in a storm. This one never leaves my backpack.
- Salomon X Ultra 3 Mid GTX Hiking Boots: For the best ankle support, waterproofing, and durable exterior I’m a fan of tough but light hiking boots like these Salomons for my adventures.
- Black Diamond Head Torch: I can’t tell you how many times, I’ve arrived back from a hike unexpectedly late. I always keep this lightweight but strong headtorch in my bag for the unexpected.
- Darn Tough Socks: These are the most comfortable hiking socks I’ve ever worn and last for years. They also have a lifetime warranty and you just send them in with a hole and they replace it no questions asked.
MY TOP PLACES TO STAY IN SRI LANKA
Sri Lanka is a huge region so it depends on where you are and which of the best places to visit in Sri Lanka are on your list as to which accommodation will be the best. For example, when you are visiting Sigiriya Rock, Hotel Sigiriya is clearly the best choice!
- Top pick: A stunning estate in the Tea Country: Thotalagala
- Best overall experience -(with Sigiriya Rock): Hotel Sigiriya
- Best for heritage in Galle: Galle Fort Hotel
- Best for elephant safaris: Cinnamon Lodge Habarana
- Best for beachfront bliss in Tangalle: Buckingham Place
- Best for exploring Colombo: The Kingsbury or the Movenpick
- Best for home-cooked food in Kandy: Green View Boutique
THREE TOURS I RECOMMEND IN SRI LANKA
Before we get into the list of the top things to do in Sri Lanka, I wanted to share with you three of my favorite tours in Sri Lanka.
Golden Hour Safari: The most popular safari tour is the Golden Hour Safari Experience in Yala National Park
Whale Watching: The Morning Whale Watching Tour from Mirissa Beach is one of the most popular activities in the entire country. See a variety of animals including blue whales, sperm whales, and dolphins from the observation deck.
Sigiriya Rock Tour: Discover the Sigirya rock fortress on a 2-3-hour walking trip which will provide an insight into the art, tradition, and history of Sri Lanka. Book your tour: Sigiriya Rock Climb Guided Tour
BEST INSURANCE FOR TRAVELERS
Don’t wait for an accident to happen… get insured! My travel insurance is HeyMondo which offers low-cost travel & medical insurance. That’s me on the left with three teeth knocked out after a motorbike crash in Bali!
You can click to read my Full Review of the Best Travel Insurance.
I’ve made several successful claims with HeyMondo and find their customer service very quick and helpful. Click the button below to get a 5% DISCOUNT
READ MORE SRI LANKA BLOG POSTS
- Ultimate Guide: 15 BEST THINGS TO DO IN SRI LANKA
- Hiking in Ella: LITTLE ADAM’S PEAK HIKE IN ELLA
- Riding the Train: Kandy to Ella by Train
- The famous Sri Lanka rope swing: THE PALM TREE ROPE SWING AT DALAWELLA
- The famous bridge: NINE ARCH BRIDGE IN ELLA
- Getting a tattoo in Sri Lanka: MY EXPERIENCE GETTING A TATTOO IN SRI LANKA
- Where to stay: 20 BEST ECO LODGES IN SRI LANKA
- Sri Lanka Packing List: THE ULTIMATE SRI LANKA PACKING LIST: WHAT TO PACK AND WHY