Angel’s Billabong is one of the magical spots to visit on Nusa Penida. A crystal clear tide pool cascades into the ocean on the east coast of Nusa Penida. Angel’s Billabong is an enchanting natural wonder located on the island of Nusa Penida, Bali, Indonesia. This unique rock formation, nestled on the island’s southwestern coast, forms a tranquil natural infinity pool that overlooks the vast Indian Ocean. During low tide, the pool’s crystal clear water provides a safe and serene spot for swimming, revealing a mesmerizing underwater world.
Angel’s Billabong on Nusa Penida
Angel’s Billabong is one of the most popular spots on Nusa Penida Island. One of the best ways to visit many of the best Nusa Penida beaches in one day is on this Ultimate Nusa Penida Day Trip Tour from Bali or you can rent a car on Nusa Penida with private driver. In this blog post, I’ll give you all the details about Angel’s Billabong but also the Broken Beach next door and the secret Manta Ray viewpoint around the corner!
BEST NUSA PENIDA TOURS!
These are the four most popular Nusa Penida Tours. I’ve done all four and they are AWESOME!
- Manta Ray Snorkel Tour (from Bali) – Most amazing experience to swim with Giant Manta’s.
- Manta Ray Snorkel Tour (from Penida) This is the cheaper option if already on Nusa Penida.
- BEST of Nusa Penida Day Tour (from Bali) Most booked day trip fro Bali to Penida with all highlights
- Nusa Penida Car Rental with Driver: Great way to see all the highlights and tourist spots.
How to get to Angel’s Billabong from Bali
If you are based in Bali you can join the Ultimate Nusa Penida Day Trip Tour from Bali tour with GetYourGuide. They will pick you up in the morning from your hotel in Bali, take you across to Nusa Penida by fast boat, and then bring you back to Bali in the evening after an incredible day of adventures. Remember to tell them which spots are on your Nusa Penida Bucket list and they will make it happen! If you are already on Nusa Penida, I’ll detail how to visit in the paragraph below.
How to get to the Nusa Islands
There are three main options to get to Nusa Penida depending on your budget and how many logistics you want to manage. Here are the three options with the cheapest first:
- Book your ticket: Sanur (Bali) to Nusa Lembongan – Book a regular ferry that leaves from Sanur to Nusa Penida on the reliable website 12go. You then need to moped or taxi across to Nusa Penida via another ferry/boat.
- Book a fast boat: Sanur (Bali) to Nusa Penida – This option is great as you go direct from Bali to Penida without having to stop in Lembongan. This option is only slightly more expensive than stopping in Lembongan. This is my favorite option of the three and can be booked on Klook.
- Book a fast boat with hotel pick-up: Sanur (Bali) to Nusa Penida – This option includes a fast boat from Sanur (Bali) to Nusa Penida but also includes pick-up from your hotel in Bali in a van. This option from GetYourGuide is a bit more expensive but takes all the hassle out of the transit from Bali to Nusa Penida.
How to get to Angel’s Billabong on Nusa Penida
Angel’s Billabong is on the West Coast of Nusa Penida. The island is quite big and it can take over an hour to cruise from one side to another depending on where your accommodation is located. The roads are improving very quickly throughout Nusa Penida as tourist traffic increases but if you are a novice scooter driver this is gonna be an interesting journey for you! If you aren’t confident in driving, you can rent a car on Nusa Penida with private driver, which is a good option to visit multiple spots safely in a day with a group of friends.
I’ve pinned the location of Broken Beach on the map of Nusa Penida below, so you can see where it is in relation to your accommodation on the island.
Renting a Motorbike on Nusa Penida
A motorbike costs a little bit more than on Bali mainland. We got ours for 70,000 rupiah per day with a full tank of gas. It wasn’t deal of the year but don’t expect to haggle down to 40,000 rupiah like you might manage on the streets of Canggu or Kuta.
Parking at Angel’s Billabong cost 40 cents USD, which is 5,000 rupiah. From this parking lot, you can walk to Angel’s Billabong by following the signs, which will then also lead you to Broken Beach. On the walk from Angel’s Billabong to Broken Beach, you will pass by the Manta Ray viewpoint!
Best time to visit Angel’s Billabong
As with all tidal pools you need to arrive at the right time of day. If you visit Angel’s Billabong during high-tide you will experience a very different pool than the one you see in photos. You will need to check the tide using a site like Magic Seaweed.
Once you figure out when the low tide is, you should plan your itinerary around that. On the day we wanted to visit Angel’s Billabong the low tide was at 8 am so we arrived right at 8 am and it was perfect.
BEST CAMERA FOR BALI
The GoPro Hero11 is the BEST camera for traveling around Bali and Indonesia.
- Waterproof for snorkeling, island-hopping, hiking and beach days.
- Built-in stabilization for filming your travels and adventure activities
- 5.3K video and 27MP Photo to capture awesome memories of friends and family
Another thing to consider about Angel’s Billabong is that it is very, very popular. This spot is on the itinerary for all the guided tours that take groups around in vans. If you visit during the middle of the day you can expect to share the spot with hoards of tourists.
However, if you come in the morning, most tourists are still eating their breakfast or in bed, so you can enjoy this tranquil place all to yourself. But remember you need to time your trip with the tide, which usually changes about an hour every day. So if you only have one day to visit Angel’s Billabong and the low tide of that day is at midday, then get ready for the crowds. As you can see this spot comes with an element of foresight and planning.
TOP 3 PLACES TO STAY ON NUSA PENIDA
I’ve written a massive, detailed guide about the Best Places To Stay on Nusa Penida….BUT If you just want me three favorites right now, here they are!
Angel’s Billabong: What to Expect
The Billabong is a remarkable formation. The crystal clear water allows you to see the patterns and textures beneath the surface. In some areas, the water is deep enough for a little dip! It is a highly photographed spot on Nusa Penida because of how unique the landscape is.
Depending on the time of day you visit and whether or not the sun is shining will impact the color of the water, rocks and what type of reflecting the pool gives. That is the beauty of mother nature, she is always changing and surprising us.
Facts About Angel’s Billabong
- Natural Infinity Pool: Angel’s Billabong is essentially a naturally formed infinity pool. It’s created by a rock formation that holds seawater at certain tides, providing a unique swimming experience.
- Tidal Dependence: The best time to visit and swim in Angel’s Billabong is during low tide. During high tide, it’s much riskier due to waves crashing into the pool from the open ocean.
- Colorful Underwater Scene: The clear waters of Angel’s Billabong reveal an array of vibrant marine life, including a variety of small fish and beautiful underwater plants.
- Proximity to Broken Beach: Angel’s Billabong is very close to another popular attraction, Broken Beach. These two destinations are often visited together due to their proximity.
- Access: Reaching Angel’s Billabong can be quite an adventure as the roads on Nusa Penida are often rough and steep. This, however, adds to the sense of discovery and adventure that surrounds this attraction.
- Safety: While it’s a beautiful spot, safety should be a priority. Visitors are warned to be cautious as the rocks can be slippery and the waves can be unpredictable.
- Unique Geology: The pool’s bottom is formed by flat rock slabs which give it a unique appearance and make it different from typical sandy-bottom pools.
- Spectacular Views: The location offers breathtaking views over the open ocean. When the sun shines on the waters of the pool, it creates beautiful reflections and light effects.
Manta Ray Viewpoint
As you finish up at Angel’s Billabong it is common to walk around the corner to Broken Beach. The walk only takes 5 minutes but halfway through the journey is an archway made of trees. When you reach this archway don’t go through immediately! Head up the hill towards the coast on your right and look down into the ocean.
This is where the Giant Manta Rays hang out. We sat on the cliffs watching the Mantas cruise around and surface time and time again. It was a pretty awesome discovery and we have aptly named the cliff, ‘Manta Ray Viewpoint’.
Broken Beach: The Arch Bridge
Broken Beach is an incredible little cove on Nusa Penida island. The highlight of the cove and the reason it is called Broken Beach is due to the archway that wraps around the bay allowing water to flow in and out from the ocean. Broken Beach is also one of the spots on the Ultimate Nusa Penida Day Trip Tour from Bali.
The arch at Broken Beach has been formed over many, many years and is now a true spectacle. From above the cove appears almost circular and closed in, however, at eye level the arch is quite high.
Read the full blog post: Broken Beach
BEST NUSA PENIDA DAY TOURS
If you are staying in Bali.. take a day trip on a speedboat to explore the highlights of Nusa Penida. It takes just 35 minutes to get from Bali to Nusa Penida by speed boat. Yep, in just one day you can snorkel with Manta rays and visit lots of the best beaches and viewpoints.
Manta Ray Snorkeling Tour
Manta Ray Nusa Penida Tour (from Bali): Snorkeling with Manta Rays is a once-in-a-lifetime experience and one of the best wildlife encounters I’ve had in my life. The Manta Rays are majestic and very friendly. With a wingspan of 5m, these gentle giants cruise around you while you snorkel amongst them. The Nusa Penida Manta Ray Snorkel Tour includes pick up and drop off from your hotel in Bali and all transport and tickets included.
Nusa Penida Highlights Tour
Nusa Penida Highlights Tour: Get picked-up from your Bali hotel, take a 35-minute fast boat to Nusa Penida and then visit the most popular viewpoints, beaches and snorkel spots on the island. This small Nusa Penida Highlights Tour group tour is the most highly reviewed day trip for Nusa Penida Island. You’ll visit all the most popular spots and can request certain viewpoints on your itinerary. Places you will visit are sites like the ones listed below:
- Angel’s Billabong
- Kelingking T-Rex Beach
- Broken Beach
- Rumah Pohon Treehouse
- Snorkeling at Crystal Bay
- Thousand Island Viewpoint
MORE NUSA ISLANDS BLOG POSTS
There are a ton of epic things to do on Nusa Penida, but I also wrote detailed guides for all of the adventurous things to do on Nusa Lembongan, Nusa Ceningan. You can explore more of my guides by clicking one of the links below.
- NUSA ISLANDS GUIDE: LEMBONGAN, PENIDA, CENINGAN
- 27 AWESOME THINGS TO DO ON NUSA PENIDA
- 9 AWESOME THINGS TO DO ON NUSA LEMBONGAN
- 5 AWESOME THINGS TO DO ON NUSA CENINGAN
- BEST CLIFF JUMP SPOTS IN BALI, INDONESIA
- WHERE TO STAY ON NUSA PENIDA: EAST & WEST REGION
- THE PERFECT 3-DAY NUSA PENIDA ITINERARY
- BEST NUSA PENIDA DAY TRIP TOURS FROM BALI
- HOW TO GET TO NUSA PENIDA FROM BALI VIA FERRY/BOAT