Lombok is waterfall heaven. Not only will you find some of the most incredible and unique waterfalls in all of Indonesia but you will find A LOT of them. Because of the volcanic landscape and steep nature of Lombok, it has hundreds of waterfalls strewn across the island. I explored the island for ten days and sought out some of the best Lombok waterfalls and was seriously blown away. I will continue updating this list as I return to Lombok to keep exploring!
TOP 3 PLACES TO STAY ON LOMBOK
- Ultimate Luxury: Jeeva Santai Villas – Beautiful, luxurious villas
- My Favorite: Martas Windows – Best value in Lombok for a bungalow with a pool
- Best Hostel: Boogie Hostel is easily the best value hostel in Lombok
BEST WATERFALLS ON LOMBOK
In this blog post, I will share the top waterfalls in Lombok. You can click the links below each segment for a full, individual blog post about a specific waterfall on Lombok.
SENDANG GILE WATERFALL
Sendang Gile Waterfall is a stunning natural wonder located on the island of Lombok in Indonesia. The waterfall is situated in the foothills of Mount Rinjani, the second-highest volcano in Indonesia. The crystal-clear water cascades down from a height of 30 meters, creating a picturesque pool at the base of the waterfall. Surrounded by lush greenery and towering cliffs, Sendang Gile is a popular destination for nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts and easily one of the top waterfalls on Lombok.
Visitors can take a short trek through the jungle to reach the waterfall, and even take a refreshing dip in the cool water. With its natural beauty and tranquil atmosphere, Sendang Gile is definitely a must-see attraction on the island of Lombok. It’s a great waterfall to combine with Tiu Kelep as it is on the way in without a need for a detour.
Click Here: to read the full blog post about Senaru Sunrise, Sendang Gile and Tiu Kelep.
TIU KELEP WATERFALL
Tiu Kelep is the most famous waterfall in Lombok. From Sendang Gile you follow the river for fifteen minutes, often walking through the water and making several crossings along the way. You will arrive in an incredible amphitheater with mist blowing everywhere. It is one of the most magical places I’ve ever been and definitely up there with my favorite things to do on Lombok.
Waterfalls pour out of the wall and then a huge, diagonal gushing flow pours down with extreme force over the top of them all. Be careful swimming beneath the falls as some people have gotten into trouble being sucked into the extreme pull of the waterfall impact zone.
Click Here: to read the full blog post about Senaru Sunrise, Sendang Gile and Tiu Kelep.
Book a tour: Hire a driver for the day and visit Tiu Kelep Waterfall, Sendang Gile Waterfall, Mount Rinjani Viewpoints, and more on the North Lombok Day Tour. This tour is a great way to see the best attractions the north of Lombok has to offer.
BENANG STOKEL AND KELAMBU WATERFALL
Benang Stokel and Kelambu Waterfall are two spectacular waterfalls located in the foothills of Mount Rinjani on the island of Lombok in Indonesia. Benang Stokel is a twin waterfall, with water cascading down from a height of 20 meters into a crystal-clear pool. Kelambu Waterfall, on the other hand, is a bit more secluded and hidden away in the jungle. It is a multi-tiered waterfall with water flowing down from a height of over 30 meters.
Both waterfalls are surrounded by lush greenery and towering cliffs, making them an ideal destination for nature lovers and adventure seekers. Visitors can take a short trek through the jungle to reach these waterfalls and enjoy a refreshing swim in the cool water. With their natural beauty and serene atmosphere, Benang Stokel and Kelambu Waterfall are definitely worth a visit when exploring the island of Lombok.
Click Here: to read the full blog post about Benang Stokel and Kelambu Waterfall
Once inside you will only have to walk for about 15 minutes until you reach Benang Stokel Waterfall. It’s actually three beautiful waterfalls flowing down into a shallow pool. Around the corner is the jump spot, where you can find an 11-meter jump, which landed in a canyon.
You can book an awesome full-day tour of Benang Stokel and Kelambu that includes pick-up and drop-off from your accommodation
COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT LOMBOK WATERFALLS
- How do I get to the waterfalls on Lombok? The waterfalls on Lombok are usually located in remote areas and often require a bit of hiking to reach them. You can either rent a motorbike or hire a driver to take you to the entrance of the waterfall, and then hike the rest of the way.
- What should I wear when visiting waterfalls on Lombok? Wear comfortable and lightweight clothing that can get wet and be prepared to walk on uneven and slippery surfaces. It’s also a good idea to wear shoes with good traction to avoid slipping.
- Can I swim in the waterfalls on Lombok? Yes, swimming in the waterfalls on Lombok is usually allowed. However, be mindful of the currents and depth of the water and always take safety precautions.
- Is it safe to visit the waterfalls on Lombok during the rainy season? The rainy season on Lombok lasts from November to April and can make the trek to the waterfalls more challenging due to slippery trails and strong currents. It’s best to check the weather forecast and trail conditions before planning your visit.
- Are there any entrance fees to visit the waterfalls on Lombok? Yes, most of the waterfalls in Lombok have entrance fees that range from IDR 5,000 to IDR 20,000 per person. Some waterfalls may also require additional fees for parking or hiring a guide.
WHERE TO STAY IN NORTHERN LOMBOK
If you are visiting attractions in the north such as Tiu Kelep or Mount Rinjani you should choose one of the three accommodations in the ‘Northern‘ section below.
- Jeeva Santai Villas – Luxury Villa: Great location on the beautiful Mangsit Beach but also within driving distance of Tiu Kelep and Mount Rinjani. It is a location that offers the best of both worlds.
- Hakiki Inn Bungalows – Value: Set on the edge of rice fields with the jungle feel but the comfort of a private bungalow.
- Blue Mountain Cottage – Budget (but also value): This is where I stayed. The room was very basic but it was comfortable enough with a basic private bathroom.
WHERE TO STAY IN THE SOUTHERN REGION OF LOMBOK
If you are staying in the south to enjoy the beaches and surf in Kuta, Lombok you should choose one of the three accommodations in the ‘Southern‘ section below.
- Harmony Villas – Luxury: The beautiful white theme throughout the property contrasts against the emerald green pool and plants. The villas are laid out impeccably and the best part about this 4-star villa is that it actually isn’t as expensive as it looks.
- Martas Windows – Value/Luxury: This place is incredibly beautiful. Bungalow-style villas surround the modern pool at this amazing property. For less than $80 a night, you can get yourself what would cost hundreds of dollars in most other countries at Martas Windows.
- Boogie Hostel Kuta Lombok – Budget: The Boogie Hostel is everything you ask for in a hostel. It’s super modern and clean and has lots of chill spaces as well as lockers for your gear and blinds for privacy at your dorm.
READ MORE OF MY LOMBOK GUIDES
- Lombok Guide: 16 AWESOME THINGS TO DO IN LOMBOK
- Mount Rinjani Trekking Guide: MOUNT RINJANI TREKKING REVIEW
- Tiu Kelep Waterfall: SENDANG GILE AND TIU KELEP WATERFALL IN SENARU
- Benang Stokel Waterfall: BENANG STOKEL WATERFALL IN LOMBOK
HOLD UP! Are you sure you’re ready to start hiking and traveling? GET INSURED FIRST!
Don’t wait for an accident to happen… get insured! My travel insurance is HeyMondo which offers low-cost travel & medical insurance. That’s me on the left with three teeth knocked out after a motorbike crash in Bali!
You can click to read my Full Review of the Best Travel Insurance.
I’ve made several successful claims with HeyMondo and find their customer service very quick and helpful. Click the button below to get a 5% DISCOUNT
What are my favorite pieces of gear for waterfall adventures?
There are four pieces of gear that I simply never forget when I go on a waterfall adventure. These are four items that I using right now and this list gets updated every year! Here are my waterfall adventure essentials.
- Arcteryx BETA AR Rain Jacket: This is my go-to rain jacket. It’s super light, folds down into a tiny ball, and protects brilliantly in a storm. This one never leaves my backpack.
- Osprey Ultralight Dry Sack: Waterfalls get wet and wild so having this ultralight dry sack for cameras, phones and valuables means you don’t have to hold back!
- PackTowl Quick-Dry Towel: A quick-dry towel is a must for travelers. It hardly takes up any room and dries in seconds.
- GoPro Hero 10: The best and easiest way to capture your underwater and snorkeling adventures.