Kabut Pelangi Waterfall was one of my favorite adventures in East Java. The waterfall crashes down into the amphitheater below, which is covered in lush green plants. The photos speak for themselves when it comes to Kabut Pelangi, as it is one of the most epic waterfalls in all of Indonesia.
KABUT PELANGI WATERFALL HIKE
The trek down to Kabut Pelangi takes about 25 minutes in total. The trail is paved a lot of the way and when it’s not the conditions aren’t very difficult. It’s a straightforward trail until you reach the river. Here you need to make one or two crossings.
You may as well get your shoes wet here because you will probably get them wet later. As you work your way upstream you will come across a waterfall on your left. It is beautiful but not Kabut Pelangi Waterfall. It is just the pre-show. Keep moving, there is more to come.
Finally, you will get a glimpse of Kabut Pelangi as you round the final corner. The 100m+ Kabut Pelangi is an incredible sight. The force it generates when it hits the pool below is incredible and this is definitely not a place you want to go swimming!
There are some great big rocks at the base of the falls, perfect for taking it all in and snapping some photos from. My favorite part about Kabut Pelangi Waterfall was the lush plants at the base of the falls. They seem to be everywhere in East Java.
Kabut Pelangi translates to waterfall rainbow mist. If you catch the conditions at the right time you will be able to see a rainbow in the mist at the bottom of the waterfall!
We came here in the afternoon and loved the lighting for photography. It must have been about 4 pm when we arrived for your reference.
What are my favorite pieces of gear for waterfall adventures?
There are four pieces of gear that I simply never forget when I go on a waterfall adventure. These are four items that I using right now and this list gets updated every year! Here are my waterfall adventure essentials.
- Arcteryx BETA AR Rain Jacket: This is my go-to rain jacket. It’s super light, folds down into a tiny ball, and protects brilliantly in a storm. This one never leaves my backpack.
- Osprey Ultralight Dry Sack: Waterfalls get wet and wild so having this ultralight dry sack for cameras, phones and valuables means you don’t have to hold back!
- Quick-Dry Towel: A quick-dry towel is a must for travelers. It hardly takes up any room and dries in seconds.
- GoPro Hero 12: The best and easiest way to capture your underwater and snorkeling adventures.
WHERE IS KABUT PELANGI WATERFALL
Kabut Pelangi Waterfall is a short drive from Coban Sewu, which is the most popular waterfall in the region. It is located in the Pronojiwo Village. We actually visited Kabut Pelangi in the afternoon after visiting Coban Sewu and Goa Tetes earlier in the day.
I have pinned the exact map location below. Head to this pin location and you will find a parking lot where you can pay the parking fee/entrance of $1 USD.
ADVENTURE BAG FROM KABUT PELANGI WATERFALL
This is an adventure bag. It is full of trash. Every time I go on an adventure I collect one adventure bag full of trash. It’s my small way of saying thanks to mother nature for allowing me to enjoy her beautiful creations.
If we have time to go on an adventure we have time to collect an adventure bag on the way back out of the trail once we have enjoyed the waterfall, the hike or the beach. Adventure hard!
Tag your #ADVENTUREBAG on Instagram and mention @adventurebag in your Instagram stories to be featured and inspire your friends, family, and followers to join the movement!
MORE EAST JAVA TRAVEL GUIDES
- The Ultimate Guide: 15 AWESOME THINGS TO DO IN EAST JAVA
- Mount Bromo without a guide: MOUNT BROMO WITHOUT A TOUR
- Ijen Crater Trek: IJEN CRATER TREK AND THE BLUE FLAME
- Madakaripura Waterfall: MADAKARIPURA WATERFALL
- Island hopping in East Java: TABUHAN ISLAND & MENJANGAN ISLAND
- East Java Beaches: PAPUMA BEACH AND PAYANGAN BEACH