On our way out of Santa Catalina, we decided to make a short adventure detour. We headed into La Mesa looking for Salto El Subi Waterfall.
We drove into Sona and then made our way toward La Mesa. The drive went from town to the mountains very quickly and the road deteriorated rapidly. This is a tough road to drive in if you don’t have a 4wd or something similar. The rocky road made it a perfect spot to scrape up your car. We managed to navigate our way in without causing any damage.
Next, to a local house, we parked the car and headed off up the road towards Salto El Subi Waterfall. There are small signs next to the road to help you find your way down the short path that leads to the waterfall. You only need to walk for about 15 minutes to reach the waterfall and the trail is actually quite beautiful in itself.
Once we reached the waterfall, we were the only people there. Just how I like it. El Salto Subi Waterfall is quite amazing with the flow crashing down in multiple directions. I always love when a waterfall is chaotic and smashes down the drop in different directions and different levels!
You can swim in the pool beneath the waterfall and even climb your way around the side to the pools directly beneath the falls. When the flow is not as strong you can probably sit in the little natural spa’s beneath the falls but when we were there that was really dangerous because the force of the waterfall was creating a washing machine in there.
I decided to try and rock-climb to the top of the waterfall. It was a decision I couldn’t back out of after making it up several meters as coming back down the same way was going to be incredibly hard. I had to go up. It became pretty nerve-wracking as I had to make several maneuvers that were pretty risky with a big vertical drop beneath me. A few people had come to the waterfall and were watching to see if I made it to the top or fell and splattered on the ground.
I managed to somehow make my way to the top with a few very nervous moments. The view from the top is worth the climb but do know that you can climb to the top safely via a trail on the right-hand side of the waterfall that isn’t dangerous at all.
Salto el Subi Waterfall is one of the most rade rad places to hang out for an afternoon. Just don’t try rock climbing like me! Here are some shots from the drone to show you how it is literally in the middle of nowhere!
ADVENTURE BAG FROM ALTO DE SALTO EL SUBI WATERFALL
This is an adventure bag. It is full of trash. Every time I go on an adventure I collect one adventure bag full of trash. It’s my small way of saying thanks to mother nature for allowing me to enjoy her beautiful creations. If we have time to go on an adventure we have time to collect an adventure bag on the way back out of the trail once we have enjoyed the waterfall, the hike or the beach. Adventure hard!
HAVE YOU CHECKED OUT MY OTHER PANAMA GUIDES
- 70 AWESOME THINGS TO DO IN PANAMA: The ultimate guide to exploring the whole country!
- 26 AMAZING WATERFALLS IN PANAMA: The ultimate guide to waterfall chasing in Panama.
- 6 BEST CLIFF JUMPING SPOTS IN PANAMA: The guide for thrill-seekers and adrenaline hunters.
- 37 AMAZING HIKES IN PANAMA: All of the best hiking trails. Many you’ve never heard of!
- 18 AWESOME THINGS TO DO IN BOQUETE: Hiking, waterfalls, and volcanoes.
- 12 AWESOME THINGS TO DO IN EL VALLE DE ANTON: My favorite place to base in Panama.
- 10 AWESOME THINGS TO DO IN SANTA CATALINA: Surf, hike, swim, kayak, and explore.
I hope you enjoy my guides and have a great time exploring Panama!
3 MOST POPULAR TOURS IN PANAMA
These are the three most popular activities for tourists in Panama. Personally, I love the San Blas Islands boat trip!
- San Blas Islands Boat Trip: Explore the tropical paradise of the San Blas Islands, the most beautiful region in Panama. Easily the most amazing activity I did in Panama.
- Taboga Island Catamaran Cruise: Admire Panama from the water on a sightseeing catamaran cruise to Taboga Island. Admire the city skyline, dive from the boat for a swim, relax on a beach in Taboga, and enjoy snacks and an open bar.
- Half-Day City Tour & Panama Canal: Connect with the beautiful and modern Panama City on this shared or private city tour. Stroll the narrow streets of the Old Town and watch ships sail through the Panama Canal
HOLD UP! Are you sure you’re ready to start hiking and traveling? GET INSURED FIRST!
Don’t wait for an accident to happen… get insured! My travel insurance is HeyMondo which offers low-cost travel & medical insurance. That’s me on the left with three teeth knocked out after a motorbike crash in Bali!
You can click to read my Full Review of the Best Travel Insurance.
I’ve made several successful claims with HeyMondo and find their customer service very quick and helpful. Click the button below to get a 5% DISCOUNT
Monday 25th of February 2019
I want to try and find Subi! But there’s no information on how to get to her! Can you give me any clearer directions??