Los Cangilones de Gualaca is a natural canyon slot in Chiriqui. It has stood the test of time and is thousands of years old. It’s a great spot to hang out with friends, cliff jump, and swim! Cangilon means bucket in Spanish or deep vessel for collecting water. This canyon is one hell of a long bucket and an epic spot to visit in Chiriqui.
HOW TO GET TO LOS CANGILONES DE GUALACA
At the bottom of this post, I have shared the exact pin location for Los Cangilones de Gualaca, which will help you determine how to reach this attraction from your current position.
I drove with two friends in a car from Boquete and it took about 40 minutes. Public transport is average in the area. It is possible to catch a bus from Boquete to David and then to Gualaca but will take close to two hours in total.
LOS CANGILONES TOUR
It’s actually pretty tough to organize transport and a guide if you don’t have local friends in the region. There is a pretty fairly priced tour that includes transport and a guide. There’s a minimum of four people required to book but you can check it out here: Los Cangilones Canyon Tour
LOS CANGILONES DE GUALACA
Los Cangilones de Gualaca is quite a unique spot. The mini-canyon as it is called isn’t so miniature. It runs for more than 40-meters until the canyon opens up. It really looks like the earth has cracked and opened up leaving the water in between.
What it has left is an awesome spot for a little adventure. You can jump from the sides of the canyon into the blue water of the canyon. Here the current is quite strong and most people swim down the canyon with the current and clamber out once the canyon walls subside and the river opens up. It is just a short walk back to do it all again!
However, some people are skilled enough to rock-climb up the side of the canyon. I tried this and it is particularly hard so I commend you if you manage to find a way to climb back out of the canyon instead of swimming all the way out.
Either way, the water is so clear it is fun to swim through the canyon. Fish dart around the rocks under the surface. The canyon is just as interesting below the surface as it is above!
If you look through the rocks you can spot some fossils. This geological formation was created by the ocean during the formation of Panama so keep your eyes peeled for fossilized crustaceans while exploring Los Cangilones de Gualaca.
There are no facilities at Los Cangilones de Gualaca. However, there is a parking lot and it is just a one-minute walk from the parking lot. Because it is so accessible, this means a lot of local and foreign tourists flock to the canyon on hot days.
LOS CANGILONES DE GUALACA MAP LOCATION
3 MOST POPULAR TOURS IN PANAMA
These are the three most popular activities for tourists in Panama. Personally, I love the San Blas Islands boat trip!
- San Blas Islands Boat Trip: Explore the tropical paradise of the San Blas Islands, the most beautiful region in Panama. Easily the most amazing activity I did in Panama.
- Taboga Island Catamaran Cruise: Admire Panama from the water on a sightseeing catamaran cruise to Taboga Island. Admire the city skyline, dive from the boat for a swim, relax on a beach in Taboga, and enjoy snacks and an open bar.
- Half-Day City Tour & Panama Canal: Connect with the beautiful and modern Panama City on this shared or private city tour. Stroll the narrow streets of the Old Town and watch ships sail through the Panama Canal
HAVE YOU CHECKED OUT MY OTHER PANAMA GUIDES
- 70 AWESOME THINGS TO DO IN PANAMA: The ultimate guide to exploring the whole country!
- 26 AMAZING WATERFALLS IN PANAMA: The ultimate guide to waterfall chasing in Panama.
- 6 BEST CLIFF JUMPING SPOTS IN PANAMA: The guide for thrill-seekers and adrenaline hunters.
- 37 AMAZING HIKES IN PANAMA: All of the best hiking trails. Many you’ve never heard of!
- 18 AWESOME THINGS TO DO IN BOQUETE: Hiking, waterfalls, and volcanoes.
- 12 AWESOME THINGS TO DO IN EL VALLE DE ANTON: My favorite place to base in Panama.
- 10 AWESOME THINGS TO DO IN SANTA CATALINA: Surf, hike, swim, kayak, and explore.
I hope you enjoy my guides and have a great time exploring Panama!
HOLD UP! Are you sure you’re ready to start hiking and traveling? GET INSURED FIRST!
Don’t wait for an accident to happen… get insured! My travel insurance is HeyMondo which offers low-cost travel & medical insurance. That’s me on the left with three teeth knocked out after a motorbike crash in Bali!
You can click to read my Full Review of the Best Travel Insurance.
I’ve made several successful claims with HeyMondo and find their customer service very quick and helpful. Click the button below to get a 5% DISCOUNT
70 AWESOME THINGS TO DO IN PANAMA: THE BUCKET LIST - Travel Guides Info
Tuesday 25th of December 2018
[…] View full blog post: LOS CANGILONES DE GUALACA […]