Honopu Ridge Trail is a 5-mile out and back hike in Koke’e State Park on Kauai. I attempted this trail once but was totally engulfed by clouds so I didn’t get to enjoy any of the views. I decided I had to go back a second time. My persistence was rewarded and we enjoyed spectacular views of the Na Pali coastline.
I hiked all over Kauai for over a month and documented all of my adventures. In my opinion, these are the 15 best hikes on Kauai!
BEST RENTAL CAR COMPANY IN HAWAII
Honopu Ridge Trail Details
- Distance: 4.5 miles out and back
- Duration: 3 hours
- Incline: 500m
Honopu Ridge Trailhead
The Honopu Ridge Trailhead is just after the AwaAwapuhi Trailhead. It doesn’t have a designated parking lot but there is a spot 50 yards past the trailhead where you can park your car safely. The marker on Google Maps is accurate.
MY TOP HOTEL PICKS FOR KAUAI
- Kauai Shores Hotel – Luxury (but value also): A luxury feels with the resort-style property, palm trees, and a beautiful pool area.
- Koloa Landing Resort – Luxury (high-end): LARGEST pool on all of Kauai with beautiful, natural-style landscaping.
- The Grand Hyatt Resort – Best Family Resort: Best kids’ club on the island, a 5-acre pool complex with a lazy river pool, a waterslide, and a saltwater lagoon big enough for kayaking.
- Read my full guide: You can check my favorites in my Kauai: Where to Stay Guide
Hiking the Honopu Ridge Trail
The Honopu Ridge Trail is a 5 mile out and back that leads you to a spectacular view of the Na Pali Coast. The trail takes a number of turns in the early moments of the hike but they are clearly marked by pink and orange tape. Hunting trails branch out from the Honopu Ridge Trail frequently so make sure you stick with the tape markers and stay on track.
This hike is great but it can be brutal on your legs and arms. The low-lying shrubs are incredibly sharp and the trail is so narrow there is no way to avoid their constant scrape. I would highly suggest wearing pants on this hike. It isn’t going to kill you if you don’t but you will regret not heeding this advice when you return.
We wound through the tight, muddy trail as we weaved in, out, and over fallen trees and branches. It’s an adventurous trail with lots of obstacles and slippery descents. After about 30 minutes you will get a glimpse of the ocean. If you can’t see the ocean, you may be inside a cloud, which is unfortunate for you but it may clear up as you continue down.
What are my favorite pieces of hiking gear?
There are four pieces of gear that I simply never forget when I go on a hike. These are four items that I using right now and this list gets updated every year! Here are my hiking essentials.
- Arcteryx BETA AR Rain Jacket: This is my go-to rain jacket. It’s super light, folds down into a tiny ball, and protects brilliantly in a storm. This one never leaves my backpack.
- Salomon X Ultra 3 Mid GTX Hiking Boots: For the best ankle support, waterproofing, and durable exterior I’m a fan of tough but light hiking boots like these Salomons for my adventures.
- Black Diamond Head Torch: I can’t tell you how many times, I’ve arrived back from a hike unexpectedly late. I always keep this lightweight but strong headtorch in my bag for the unexpected.
- Darn Tough Socks: These are the most comfortable hiking socks I’ve ever worn and last for years. They also have a lifetime warranty and you just send them in with a hole and they replace it no questions asked.
On numerous occasions throughout the Honopu Ridge Trail, you will find yourself wondering if you are indeed still on the trail. It is quite undefined in many sections but as long as you are still following the tape (which is also yellow at times) keep on pushing through.
The first time I hiked the Honopu Ridge Trail, I arrived at the first lookout and the narrow ridge section while in the middle of a cloud. Everything was white. The second time the view was insane! The first lookout has you facing straight towards the classic Na Pali ridges and a huge waterfall in the Honopu Valley. We spent an hour chilling here taking it all in. We didn’t know how long it would be before the clouds rolled in and ruined the view.
They did engulf us a few times but always cleared on this day. After a long rest, we continued on down the trail, which became increasingly dense and harder to navigate. The second lookout peers down onto the AwaAwapuhi Trail and even as far as the Nualolo Trail. We watched whales breaching below as the tour boats cruised up and down the coast. It took us almost 2 hours to make it out to this viewpoint, not including our 1-hour rest but it was well worth it!
BEST INSURANCE FOR TRAVELERS
Don’t wait for an accident to happen… get insured! My travel insurance is HeyMondo which offers low-cost travel & medical insurance. That’s me on the left with three teeth knocked out after a motorbike crash in Bali!
You can click to read my Full Review of the Best Travel Insurance.
I’ve made several successful claims with HeyMondo and find their customer service very quick and helpful. Click the button below to get a 5% DISCOUNT
WHERE TO STAY ON KAUAI
- Kauai Shores Hotel – Luxury (but value also): A luxury feels with the resort-style property, palm trees, and a beautiful pool area. The best part about this hotel is that it is right on the beach. The restaurant literally looks out to the waves, which is an awesome spot to start your day with breakfast.
- Koloa Landing Resort – Luxury (high-end): I was lucky enough to spend three nights reviewing Koloa Landing Resort and honestly the place is just phenomenal. It has the LARGEST pool on all of Kauai with beautiful, natural-style landscaping throughout the pool areas.
- The Grand Hyatt Resort – Best Family Resort: With the best kids’ club on the island, wildlife talks in the lobby, and a five-acre pool complex that includes an enormous lazy-river pool, a waterslide, and a saltwater lagoon big enough for kayaking, the Grand Hyatt is unbeatable for keeping kids busy and parents happy.
- Hilton Garden Inn – Value Pick: The Hilton Garden Inn is your number-one choice if you are on a budget but still need comfort. The Hilton has a beautiful pool, private beach access, and hot tub.
- For more accommodation recommendations you can check my favorites in the Kauai Where to Stay Guide.