Located on the island of Lombok in Indonesia, Bukit Selong is a stunning viewpoint that offers a breathtaking view of the sunrise over the island’s picturesque landscape. This hidden gem is not as well-known as other tourist destinations in Indonesia, but it’s quickly gaining popularity among travelers seeking a peaceful and serene escape.
BUKIT SELONG SUNRISE VIEWPOINT
Bukit Selong Sunrise Viewpoint is situated on the edge of a cliff overlooking the lush green hills, rice fields, and majestic Mount Rinjani in the distance. It’s the perfect place to witness the stunning beauty of nature and experience the tranquility that comes with it. In this blog post, I’ll explore everything you need to know about visiting Bukit Selong Sunrise Viewpoint in Lombok.
TOP 3 PLACES TO STAY ON LOMBOK
HOW TO GET TO BUKIT SELONG VIEWPOINT
To reach Bukit Selong Sunrise Viewpoint in Lombok, you will first need to travel to the town of Sembalun, which is about 2.5 hours from Lombok International Airport. From there, you can either hire a private driver or take public transportation to reach the viewpoint. If you choose to take public transportation, you can take a local bus or minivan from Sembalun to the village of Selong Belanak. From there, you can hire a motorbike taxi (locally known as ojek) to take you to Bukit Selong Sunrise Viewpoint.
The road to the viewpoint is quite steep and bumpy, so it’s recommended to hire an experienced driver. Once you reach the top, you will need to pay a small entrance fee before starting the short hike to the viewpoint. It’s advisable to start the hike early in the morning to witness the stunning sunrise over the hills and mountains. Below, you will find the exact pin location of the viewpoint.
MY EXPERIENCE AT BUKIT SELONG SUNRISE VIEWPOINT
The Lombok rice fields were awesome! Bukit Selong consisted of a variety of different colored crops to create a contrasting patchwork quilt, covering the entire valley. The sun had not yet risen and mist and clouds made sure it wasn’t a bright morning.
There is a flat viewpoint, which is still really nice and gives you a great view of the whole valley but there is also a higher viewpoint. We climbed up the hill, still with heavy legs from trekking up Rinjani and sat under the wooden star while it began to rain. Huddled beneath the star we were laughing about the strange things we do like getting up at three in the morning to watch grey clouds block a sunrise in the run, huddled under a wooden star built for photos of a farm. Life.
The wooden star seems to have been constructed just for epic photos and it was pretty corny but still fun to hang out on. A lot of tourists began to come after sunrise so I’m glad we went really early even though we never even saw the sun.
Behind the wooden star was a walkway to a tree platform overlooking the town and another valley of farm fields. It was a little less pretty but a great view nonetheless. We sat out on the platform listening to morning prayers ringing out from the various mosques.
There was a fee for Bukit Selong rice fields but we arrived early so didn’t pay it until he requested the $1 as we exited.
BEST INSURANCE FOR TRAVELERS
Don’t wait for an accident to happen… get insured! My travel insurance is HeyMondo which offers low-cost travel & medical insurance. That’s me on the left with three teeth knocked out after a motorbike crash in Bali!
You can click to read my Full Review of the Best Travel Insurance.
I’ve made several successful claims with HeyMondo and find their customer service very quick and helpful. Click the button below to get a 5% DISCOUNT
ALTERNATE VIEWPOINT: PERGASINGAN HILL
If you want an even better view of the Sembalun area this is for you. It will involve a bit of hiking but Pergasingan Hill is the ridge you see from Bukit Selong, on the other side of the valley.
Pergasingan Hill is an epic viewpoint at the top of a steep 1-hour trail north of Lombok. Locally known as Bukit Pergasingan, the trail is suitable for most hikers and offers some of the best views in all Lombok! It is best done for sunrise or sunset and you can even camp at the top with the help of a trekking guide.
I hope you enjoyed this guide to Bukit Selong sunrise viewpoint on Lombok.
WHERE TO STAY IN NORTHERN LOMBOK
- Jeeva Santai Villas – Luxury Villa: Great location on the beautiful Mangsit Beach but also within driving distance of Tiu Kelep and Mount Rinjani. It is a location that offers the best of both worlds.
- Hakiki Inn Bungalows – Value: Set on the edge of rice fields with the jungle feel but the comfort of a private bungalow.
- Blue Mountain Cottage – Budget (but also value): This is where I stayed. The room was very basic but it was comfortable enough with a basic private bathroom.
WHERE TO STAY IN THE SOUTHERN REGION OF LOMBOK
If you are staying in the south to enjoy the beaches and surf in Kuta, Lombok you should choose one of the three accommodations in the ‘Southern‘ section below.
- Harmony Villas – Luxury: The beautiful white theme throughout the property contrasts against the emerald green pool and plants. The villas are laid out impeccably and the best part about this 4-star villa is that it actually isn’t as expensive as it looks.
- Martas Windows – Value/Luxury: This place is incredibly beautiful. Bungalow-style villas surround the modern pool at this amazing property. For less than $80 a night, you can get yourself what would cost hundreds of dollars in most other countries at Martas Windows.
- Boogie Hostel Kuta Lombok – Budget: The Boogie Hostel is everything you ask for in a hostel. It’s super modern and clean and has lots of chill spaces as well as lockers for your gear and blinds for privacy at your dorm.