Bukit Merese Hill in Kuta Lombok is a must-visit destination for anyone looking to witness one of the most stunning sunsets in Indonesia. This natural hilltop viewpoint is situated on the southern coast of Lombok and offers panoramic views of the Indian Ocean and the surrounding countryside. From the top of Bukit Merese Hill, visitors can enjoy a spectacular sunset, which paints the sky in hues of orange, pink, and red, creating a breathtaking scene. The hike up to the top of Bukit Merese Hill is relatively easy and offers visitors a chance to witness the natural beauty of Lombok up close.
BUKIT MERESE HILL SUNSET VIEWPOINT
In this blog post, we’ll explore everything you need to know about visiting Bukit Merese Hill in Kuta Lombok, and why it’s considered one of the best sunset viewpoints in the region.
TOP 3 PLACES TO STAY ON LOMBOK
How to get to Bukit Merese Hill Sunset Viewpoint
Getting to Bukit Merese Hill in Lombok is relatively easy, and there are several transportation options available. From Kuta, you can rent a motorbike or hire a driver to take you to Bukit Merese Hill. Alternatively, you can take public transportation (locally known as bemo) from Kuta to the town of Sengkol, which is located near the hill.
The hike is relatively easy and takes about 20-30 minutes, but it’s recommended to wear comfortable shoes and carry enough water. Once you reach the top, you will be charged a small entrance fee before you can access the viewpoint. It’s advisable to arrive at least an hour before sunset to get the best view and take some stunning photos. Overall, reaching Bukit Merese Hill in Lombok is not too difficult, and the effort is well worth it to witness one of the most beautiful sunsets in Indonesia.
My Experience at Bukit Merese Hill
We had heard about Bukit Merese Hill and decided to jump on the moped from town and make the 15-minute journey out to the hill. When we arrived we had to pay $1 to bring the moped inside and then parked at the bottom of the hill. You can grab water, a coconut, or a beer in the parking lot before beginning the climb.
If you just want to reach the first viewpoint it is only about a 5-10 min walk up the hill. If you decide to head all the way to the furthest headland it may take you a bit more than 20 minutes. Keep walking all the way to the headland and sit out on the edge with views down the coast in both directions. We laid out here, took some photos, and marveled at the endless ocean as the sky turned a fiery red.
The next day we decided we had to see sunset hill point in the daylight. The beaches had looked insane during the sunset the night before. Our predictions were correct and Bukit Merese Hill was even more impressive in the morning sunlight.
Each time we topped another hill a whole new cove would appear. There was not a single tourist around and we explored the hills and the coves as if it were in the middle of nowhere, despite being only 15 minutes drive from Kuta Lombok town.
Tanjun Aan Beach (near Bukit Merese)
Some of the reef formations looked incredible from atop the hill and we even dropped down into one of the coves to cool off in the beaming sun. The hills look east towards Tanjung Aan beach, which is an awesome place to grab lunch and have a refreshing swim. It was also another beach that was entirely empty as we enjoyed our $2 nasi goreng at our private beach.
Behind Tanjun Aan is a little coconut plantation where we decided it would be a good idea to mess about on our mopeds for a while in the striking midday sun. Boys will be boys.
WHERE TO STAY IN NORTHERN LOMBOK
- Jeeva Santai Villas – Luxury Villa: Great location on the beautiful Mangsit Beach but also within driving distance of Tiu Kelep and Mount Rinjani. It is a location that offers the best of both worlds.
- Hakiki Inn Bungalows – Value: Set on the edge of rice fields with the jungle feel but the comfort of a private bungalow.
- Blue Mountain Cottage – Budget (but also value): This is where I stayed. The room was very basic but it was comfortable enough with a basic private bathroom.
WHERE TO STAY IN THE SOUTHERN REGION OF LOMBOK
If you are staying in the south to enjoy the beaches and surf in Kuta, Lombok you should choose one of the three accommodations in the ‘Southern‘ section below.
- Harmony Villas – Luxury: The beautiful white theme throughout the property contrasts against the emerald green pool and plants. The villas are laid out impeccably and the best part about this 4-star villa is that it actually isn’t as expensive as it looks.
- Martas Windows – Value/Luxury: This place is incredibly beautiful. Bungalow-style villas surround the modern pool at this amazing property. For less than $80 a night, you can get yourself what would cost hundreds of dollars in most other countries at Martas Windows.
- Boogie Hostel Kuta Lombok – Budget: The Boogie Hostel is everything you ask for in a hostel. It’s super modern and clean and has lots of chill spaces as well as lockers for your gear and blinds for privacy at your dorm.
BEST INSURANCE FOR TRAVELERS
Don’t wait for an accident to happen… get insured! My travel insurance is HeyMondo which offers low-cost travel & medical insurance. That’s me on the left with three teeth knocked out after a motorbike crash in Bali!
You can click to read my Full Review of the Best Travel Insurance.
I’ve made several successful claims with HeyMondo and find their customer service very quick and helpful. Click the button below to get a 5% DISCOUNT